Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away >

Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Whisker Bisquit
38.18%
Drop Away
57.27%
Shoot Thru
2.73%
Other
1.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Old 04-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Default RE: Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Gotta love the Muzzy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trophy Taker here. Dang thing takes alot of moleskin to make it quiet though.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 AM

nap quicktune 3000 for hunting - prong style.
drop aways are a waste of time in my opinion.
the real funny part is seeing guys w/ drop aways on their 3d bows, cracks me up.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM

I voted shoot thru as well, I guess it's just you and me so far gibblet. I have a quicktune 3000 as well. Easy to adjust rest. In my area prong rests are getting harder and harder to find. Most of what you see is various drop a way rests.

Paul
Old 04-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

the real funny part is seeing guys w/ drop aways on their 3d bows, cracks me up.
Gibblet:

If I took 3D as serious as some....I'd probably switch rests, too. Point conceded. I made a vow that I'd ONLY shoot what I hunted with in "my" 3D endeavors, though. Personal choice.....to keep me from FURTHER breaking the bank.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gibblet

drop aways are a waste of time in my opinion.
WHY? I wasted no time setting up my drop away on my Bowtech Allegiance. IT shoots bullets, groups Muzzy, Snypers and field points together it is perfectly tuned so why is this rest a waste of time compared to a pathetic WB or any prong style rest. I've perfectly tuned prong style rests as well, a perfectly tuned bow is a perfectly tuned bow, why is it a waste of time?

And if a person likes a drop away on their hunting bow, why not set up a 3D bow the same? I personally never had a "3D" bow, I like whipping people with my hunting rig!

The goal is minimal to no arrow contact to the rest on release, a drop away fits that bill as well as a prong style if you clear your vanes. A hard helical or offset may require a drop away. It eliminates fletch clearance problems. I don't see them as a waste of time but very practical in many archery circles.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 AM

I think they help eliminate some human error as well, making them a bit more forgiving. Once the rest drops, you essentially have a free flying arrow, only attached to the bow by the string. Where w/ a non drop rest, the arrow is in contact with the bow through the entire cycle. Is my thinking wrong here, or wouldn't the fact that the arrow isn't contacting the rest make it inherently less affected by form errors???
Old 04-06-2007, 09:20 AM

I personally feel this is one of the biggest myths surrounding the drop away type rests. Many believe that some support while the arrow is leaving the bow is a good thing. Which is why many target archers use a quality prong rest with a light spring setting, or better yet a spring blade launcher.

I feel that VERY few shots get messed up due to poor form DURING the shot. In almost every case I bet the shot was messed up prior to the releasing the arrow. From everything I have seen and tried the arrow normally goes in the direction it was pointed when the string is released. Barring any contact issues with the bow, cables or rest. I am talking with a well tuned rest, no contact issues and using a string loop.

Many believe that they are torquing the bow, grabbing the bow or dropping their arm during the shot. I don't believe this at all. The arrow leaves the bow WAAY faster than we can react. From everything I have seen things all happen BEFORE the arrow is released. We anticipate the shot and screw it up before we pull the trigger or release the string. Which is one of the reasons a back tensioned surprise release works so well for some. You don't know when the shot is going to happen so you can't mess it up. If you don't believe me use a back tension release and try to grab your bow during or after shot. Good luck, and I suggest you try it over a padded floor if you like your bow.

I have tried almost every type of rest on the market right now. Not every rest, but most of the designs in one form or another. And NONE of them actually made me shoot any better when they were set up correctly. I can shoot just as well with a flipper rest and feathers as I can with some high tech expensive drop a way. And I'm not even a compitition level archer as far is skill goes.

I will admit that some rests are easier to set up than others. And that some of the drop away rest I have used seem to be slightly more forgiving of arrow spine (until you put a fixed blade on the arrows). I would not say that all drop away rests are more forgiving in general though. Some might actually be less forgiving considering they have some overdraw to them and you could have timing issues with them. I have had problems with some drop aways dropping too soon. Especially when not using a string loop.

These are simply my opinions though and nothing more. It has never been proven that one type of rest works any better than any other. Probably one of the biggest debates in archery. In the end it boils down to what works best for YOU and what you feel most confident with. Just keep in mind that some of the best shooting ever done was done with so called "inferior" and out of tune equipment.

Paul
Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 AM

ive got a carolina archery wb
Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

WB preacher, WB !!! of course

Quick Reply: Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.