Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away >

Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Whisker Bisquit
38.18%
Drop Away
57.27%
Shoot Thru
2.73%
Other
1.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Ok ... I will ... Whisker Bisquit or drop away

Paul, very nicely explained, as usual. I'm not sure I totally agree, but that's ok......If you can't mess up a shot DURING the shot, how come dropping your bow arm will result in a bad shot, or lifting your head will, or not following through will....Those are all things that occur during the shot, yes??
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM

No, I feel those are all things that happen just prior to releasing the arrow, you just think they happened during the shot. Truth is you were probably anticipating the shot and started lifting your head or dropping your arm right before you released the arrow. You don't realize you are doing it before the shot, but you most likely are.

This is why practicing proper follow through is so important. There are many people that can shoot very accurately with a triggered release or using fingers. It is because they have very consistents follow through and a well established shooting sequence.

This is also why most everyone strives for a surprise release and utilize back tension of some sort. The surprise release lets the arrow get released before you can mess the shot up. You should only be concentrating on aiming, not releasing the arrow. With a proper shot sequence and practice the release of the arrow should "just happen".

The reason I believe this is because I have seen plenty of footage of arrows being shot in slow motion and there just isn't time during the shot. Also the same thing happens to people shooting firearms. Do you think there is time to mess up the shot while the bullet is in the barrel? I don't, they did it before or while pulling the trigger. You see it quite a bit with scopes, people for some reason want to look around the scope to see where they hit the target. Or they are trying to buck the recoil of the gun. Same thing as with a bow, they anticipate the shot and start reacting before they actually make the shot, they just don't know it. But if you are watching them it is quite evident what they are doing.

People do it in golf as well. They take their eye off the ball before the club hits it and they mess up their swing and the ball slices one way or another. I am very guilty of this one, which is probably why I suck at golf.

I have watched people shoot and told them they were dropping their arm or peaking around the string. They swear to me they are not doing it, but when you video tape them and play it back you can see it. With proper follow through you should be able to see the arrow go all the way to the target. Same thing with a .22 rifle shooting slower target loads. I can seen the bullet go to the target through my scope.

Again these are only my opinions, though I feel strongly about them. You are welcome to disagree with them. It won't effect how you shoot either way.

Paul
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM

You make very good points, ones I will have to investigate. Perhaps I should have someone video while I'm shooting....
Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archer58

Both my bows have a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone. I just took a QAD Ultra off my Trykon only because of a lack of left / right adjustment.
me too! Love the dropzone
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM

WB! If there was one better, or simpler, or more foolproof (impossible), I would buy it. It is simple and, contrary to what some would argue, it does not negatively affect arrow flight as all fletching contacts bristles simultaneously.

Simple, works everytime, no moving parts to malfunction. What more can you ask for.Whisker Biscuit, hands down!