Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How close can you call in a turkey? >

How close can you call in a turkey?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How close can you call in a turkey?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Default How close can you call in a turkey?

Ok every year I have wanted to go turkey hunting, but just haven't ever seemed to make it out there. I am wanting to try one with a bow, but I'm not sure if the distances I'm comfortable shooting one at are even close to how far I'll be able to call one into. I've only been turkey hunting a couple of times with friends and just sort of tagged along so I'm not really sure what to expect. I really planned on getting a tag and trying it with my bow for a while and if all else failed take a shotgun out for a while, but my friend told me to shoot one with a bow you need an archery only tag. Also I haven't been able to figure out how to use mouth calls so I'll have to rely on a box call if that matters.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Default RE: How close can you call in a turkey?

You can call a turkey in as close as you feel comfortable having him. However, you'll need to learn to use those calls without making a lot of movement.

I shot my first turkey (with a shotgun, mind you) at less than ten paces. I had someone on the opposite side of the tree calling for me, but you can get those birds in close if you want to.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Thanks Washington thats what I need a little confidence boost. I'll get an archery tag and see how it works out because its not like if I don't bring a turkey home I'll starve or anything. I've really been itchin to get back out into the woods with my bow
Old 04-04-2007, 05:39 AM

TRY A POP UP BLIND FOR YOUR FIRST HUNT REALLY HELPS CONCELE MOVEMENT
Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Dominant Buck

It really depends on the bird. I've called a couple in so close I could have whacked them with a mp handle. LOL Those times it wasn't my intention, but stuff happens. LOL I was calling for my buddy Chuck one time. I had started out into the field when I saw birds coming out down below us on a hill. A big gobbler and a harem of hens. I only had time to just drop to the ground prone beside an old log someone had skidded out in the field and left. Chucks about 20 yards behind me on the edge of the woods so sat quick against a tree. Long deal short, I never could convince the gobbler to come but I did tick off one old matriarcal hen that came looking hoping to kick my butt. I was resting my forehead on my arm with my floppy hat pulled down. At one point just peaking out from the edges I could see the hens feet about 2 feet away. Chuck said he thought she was going to walk on me. I'd like to have them about 15-20 yards. It's a slam dunk shot and you can usually get a shot somewhere in their moving and peaking. I've had several birds get way to close for my way of thinking. I've had a WHOLE lot more not get close enough.LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was a video that I watched back in the early90's(had to be 91 or 92) where some guy hid under a downed log, and had his buddy throw leaves all over him.He called a jake in so close that he actually was able to grab its leg for a second when it stepped onto his hand, before it got loose and took off. I wish I could remember what that video was called.

I've had gobblers within 5 feet. At that range, you can't even turn your eyes or blink. You even have to watch how loud you're breathing.

One time I missed agobbler's headcleanat no more than 2 yards. The concussion off the 10 gauge 3.5" magnum actually rolled him flat. I thought he was dead, but now I think he was just k.o.'ed from the muzzle blast for a second. He got up and took off. LOL I couldn't move my cheek to the beavertail, so I just kinda had to eyeball it and guess when his head was passing the muzzle and pull the trigger. I guesstimated wrong.

Moral of the story is that when you're calling, you'll get turkeys to come in and look for the other bird. If you have no dekes out, they'll come to the area, and continue to search. Turkeys are excellent audible locators, so they can usually pinpoint the origin of a sound, and if they're looking for you, chances are that they'll be able to pin you down with a small margin of error.

If you don't spook 'em, they'll come right in and practically run you over.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

I've called some jakes in so close I could have reached out and grabbed em by the neck. I don't let tom-tom get that close.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fran, if you ever put out a book on your hunting experiences, I want to be the first one to buy it! I love your stories ..... Serously, you should think about it ... just keep yer politics out [8D]
Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

"How To Ruin a Perfectly Good Day Afield" By Me.

Seriously though - have any of you guys ever seen that video? Just by way of memory, and remembering the kids that I watched it with - it had to be 1991 or 1992'ish. I remember it was an old VHS tape (at the time we watched it), so it was probably filmed in the 80's.

I think itmight have beenthe same guys who put out that video where they hunted bears and deer with giant spears. They were totally nuts.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

"How To Ruin a Perfectly Good Day Afield" By Me.
LOL ... I bet that title would sell .... you'd be the next McManus

Quick Reply: How close can you call in a turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.