Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where is your bow when you hunt? >

Where is your bow when you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where is your bow when you hunt?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Where is your bow when you hunt?

How do you guys have your bow when you're in your stand? Lots of guys use tree hooks and stuff but be more specific........is it straight out in front of you or off to the side or right close to the tree..........do you use a hook or telescoping rod?..........maybe a stand mounted holder?

I lay my bow across the front rail of my stand..........I know some guys even hold their bow the entire time.

Just curious...........and have you ever noticed a benefit or drawback to any of the above methods?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where is your bow when you hunt?

If I'm in my climber I lay my bow across the rail as you mentioned. If I'm in a hang on stand (or any other for that matter) I use a Gorilla arm thing and hang it so that it is directly out in front and overhead. It's high enough that when I stand up the grip is about at shoulder height and when I'm sitting it's over my head. I've found this requires me to make much less movement when it's game time.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from a Summit climber, and I lay my bow across the front bar. I like having it there,it is easy to get ready that way. I always screw in my EZ hanger and use it when I'm getting set up and stuff, or just taking a break. I think this year I am going to put a bow holder on the rail of my stand and give that a try. One of the kind that hold the bow vertically, it will be very easy to get to with little movement that way. My commander is pretty long ATA, soI think turning it from horizontal to vertical may be a little more than I want in the way of movement.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Check the photo. It's right in front of me.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to hang mine right in front of me with the grip level to my chest. I typically put my stands between 2 or more trees for cover. I use the tree directly ahead to hang my bow in. If the area does nto allow for this type of set up I will hold it across my lap if there is no other solutions.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gus and I are pretty close. I use the realtree hanger and keep the bow in front of me. Most of them time I see a deer past Oct 21 I am not picking my bow up. I want as little movement as possible. Plus I stand the whole time Except on all day hunts when I nap. During prime time I am on my feet.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Cougar Claw climber and I have a rubber coated bowholder mounted to the platform on the right side of the stand.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Most of them time I see a deer past Oct 21 I am not picking my bow up.
What do you mean?.........you don't usually shoot after 10-21??

I want as little movement as possible.
Me too.

Plus I stand the whole time Except on all day hunts when I nap. During prime time I am on my feet.
Me too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Most of them time I see a deer past Oct 21 I am not picking my bow up.

What do you mean?.........you don't usually shoot after 10-21??

Atlas it depends on when Primetime is I have a stand where the deer do not show up until 10:00 AM. So Prime time is the middle of the day 10-4:00 PM. I am on my feet than

In new area I am on my feet all the time

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a tree hook on my left hand side. As I shoot right handed and don't want to pass the bow from right to left.

Quick Reply: Where is your bow when you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.