HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ground Blinds... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/186689-ground-blinds.html)

jmjuergensen 04-01-2007 11:17 AM

Ground Blinds...

Hi everyone -

I'm new to bow hunting this year, and just recently purchased my first bow (Fred Bear Instinct). I'm really looking forward to this fall and hopefully bagging my first buck with a bow. I just had a quick question for everyone. Has anyone ever used a ground blind for bow hunting? I'm really considering picking one up, but what people with experience though of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

janesburg 04-01-2007 11:24 AM

RE: Ground Blinds...

Never bought one. I've made a few with dead falls and have had some luck. But, I would suggest getting in a treestand if you can.

MichaelHunsucker 04-01-2007 11:48 AM

I would also recommend gettin in a tree stand but if you want to hunt from the ground i would definately suggest a natural ground blind such as a cedar or pine tree. If you just got pop up a double bull the deer will notice something different in their environment and will get spooky most of the time. If you are going to use some sort of pop up blind and cant leave it out then you will just have to brush it in like crazy to break up the outline.

AR Bowhunter 04-01-2007 12:01 PM

I have a holly tree that I have cut the limbs from the bottom so I can back up against the base of the tree. It is surrounded by vines an a bigger tree behind it. I am going to get a deer from underneath that tree this year, I hope. I am going to throw some camo netting across the front to help break up the area where I will be setting.

trophy time 04-01-2007 12:41 PM

When hunting turkey with a blind you don't have a problem. Deer on the other hand, are a little more leary of the blind. The best thing would be if it could be set up behind other cover so it wasn't so much in the open. And definately only have the front window open so that they cannot see light in back of you.

RDHunter 04-01-2007 12:53 PM

I have a Double Bull T5 ground blind and I have used it for bowhunting whitetails , it's works really good.
When the deer get closer to it they get a little skidish cause the see that little black hole but it stops them long enough for me to get a shot at them.
I use my blind more for turkey hunting than deer , when it comes to the whitetail , I rather be in a treestand.
Any good ground blind will work as long as you got it blended in will with limbs and leaves covering the roof and sides.
With anatural blind made from dead fall trees and such work really well cause the deer are use to seeing it around all the time.

passthru79 04-01-2007 02:49 PM

If your on a budget, take a look at the Big Game ground blinds. Their Escape deluxe is a very nice blind for around $150 and it has alot of the features of the more expensive blinds. If you decide to get one make sure you get it out at least a couple of weeks before you plan on hunting it and brush it in good.