Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proshop dilemma

Old 03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default proshop dilemma

Ok so I have a little dilemma. I bought my current bow 5years ago, and during this time I became unhappy with the proshop I purchased my bow from. Since then I have been going to another local bow shop, they have been great. They have worked on my bowand helped me out a lot during this time. Often letting me shoot for free in their indoor range andnot charging me for some labor costs, but I have given them decent buisness.

I am looking to purchase a new bow soon and I am really leaning(ok i am set on getting a bowtech). Here is the problem, the current proshop I go to only has Elite, Hoyt, Ross and Mathews. I don't have anything against these brands, but I am set on getting a bowtech.

There is another bowtech dealer that is a little further away, and I plan on going to check out his shop soon. I guess my question is...If I purchase the bow from the bowtech dealer...Do you think it would be wrong to go back to my current shop? What is the"proper" proshop etiquette?It doesn't seem right to me. It would be so much easier if he was a bowtech dealer!

Ok last question. I have heard some mixed reviews on the Elites. Any one have any thoughts or experience with them?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: proshop dilemma

I don't think that it would be a big deal. This shop letting you use the range and giving you a discount on repairs is nice but you know that he is still making money or he wouldn't be doing it for you. If the owner has turned into a friend which it sounds like I wouldn't sweat it. Let him know about it first. Shops sometimes have ways of getting special products they they usually don't carry. I know a shop near me that will swap once and awhile with another shop that is in the same situation that you are in.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM

You have an interesting moral delima there. Part of me says show loyalty to the shop that takes care of you, and if that means buying something other than a BT, so be it. They've been there for you, helped you along the way, and now you're gonna take your business elsewhere??

BUT, another part of me understands. You're gonna spend alot of money on a bow, it's important you get the one you want. Now, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, or I don't offend anyone, but I doubt you would get that same help and respect from them if you showed up w/ a bow you didn't buy there.......Maybe not, but chances are good....

Elites are awesome bows! Period. They had some trouble last year, internally, but their product is pretty awesome. It's pert near a BT anyway....Shoot one, you won't be disappointed. AND, you would buy a bow from "your" shop.....If you catch my drift.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM

I take a little different view on it from Mobow.

I don't think you owe anyone your loyalty. You owe it to yourself to get you a bow that you like. You'll be bringing your shop business by purchasing accessories from them, using their facilities, and getting work done by them.

It isn't your fault they don't carry the bow you want.

If they show less interest in you and servicing your equipment because you went somewhere else to get the bow you want because they don't/can't carry it, thats bad business.

Get the bow you want, regardless of whether you have to go somewhere else.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM

I agree with Dan. You are the customer and are willing to buy from your favorite shop, but if they don't carry the bow you think fits you best, then such is life. Give them a chance to "sell" you on the bows they carry and compare them against the BT to make the best decision for you. Buy the bow you feel is best for you and give them all the business you have previously unless they turn sour on you for buying elsewhere(which probably won't happen).
Old 03-31-2007, 08:23 PM

Dan, I really do agree with you.....to a point. I guess working at a shop causes me to have that view. I guess if it were done right, it could work. That shop has done everything they can to help out, and get you set up correctly. By buying a bow from some one else would almost be a slap in the face.....(Not really, but you know what I mean).....

I suppose if you talked to them first, told them the deal, and were 100% honest with them, it could be ok....That's happened to us before, and while we are still professional, we still work on their equipment, and we don't turn them away....We don't do them any more "favors" either, if you know what I mean. We charge them to shoot at our indoor, we charge them labor to work on the bow, we charge them full retail price on accessories....That kind of stuff......But again, we DO NOT turn them away, and still treat them with respect.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Have to agree with Dan and Fergus. Go where you can get the bow you want. That saidI would ask if the proshop you are going to now can place a special order for you though. The shop I go to carries nothing but Hoyt and Mathews with the occassional Bowtech, however the owner will order anything I want. It has on occassion cost me a little more, never more than $10 or 20, but the cost was worth it to me knowing my money is staying local.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Guys thanks for the input. All of you make good points. mobow- i am glad to get a proshop perspective from you, i was hoping someone from a proshop would chime in.

I have asked if he could do a special order on a bt, he said because of two other bt dealers within a radius of his shop, that he could not.(there are 2 within like 15miles)I have to say I am an average customer there, i am not in any leagues there or have purchased very expensive items. I have bought some accessories, arrows and broadheads etc. They are a bunch of great knowledgeable guys, that Iwould liketo give my business to

But I do feel that If i am going to spend that type of $$, I need to buy the bow that I want, regardless of what brand he sells.

You guys make a good point about being 100% honest with them, I wouldn't expect favors from them after(i still don't expect them). I don't foresee them to treat me badly after...just like a regular customer.

Even thou I have my heart set on a bt, it won't hurt to try out one of their elite synergys. hey i won't know til i try one out. Thanks again guys
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 PM

With that attitude, you'll be just fine. Just be honest with them, and like I said, if you're gonna spend that kind of money, it's important to get the one you want....
Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not your fault your shop of choice doesn't carry Bowtech the bow you want. I imagine he could if he wanted to, I don't think there is a exclusive area protection clause with Bowtech but could be wrong. Anyway, I would be leary of having a shop that doesn't sell/service Bowtech working on myBowtect bow not to mention warrenty issues. With that said, I would buy where you can get it locally and have it worked on there but shoot at the other shop buying essentials from him.

Quick Reply: proshop dilemma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.