Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Sight

Old 03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summit Sight

Has anyone seen the Sumit Hot Dot sight? I was looking at the website and it seems very interesting. You can pick pendulem mode or fixed pin with up to 6 pins (dots really). I wonder how much this thing costs.

Has anyone tried it out?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summit Sight

Maybe this will help

http://www.summitstands.com/NR/rdonl...catalog2_3.pdf
Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM

I posted a thread on it like 4 days ago and the responses were underwhelming.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Bowhunting World this month they have an ad for it and it says the pendulum only version has an MSRP of $140. Not too bad, I thought they'd be a lot more. They're illegal for hunting here in PA, because you can't have any electronic devices.

That is deviced on your bow. I believe that is correct. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bry,
I think you're incorrect. I just copied this from the PA hunting regulations. See section Bbelow. Looks like this sight would be legal in PA.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
[ul](1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
(3) Reserved.
(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.
Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.
(9) Any setgun, net, bird lime, deer lick, pit or pit fall, turkey blind except as permitted under subsection (b)(3) or turkey pen or any explosive, poison or chemical of any kind.
(9.1) Any device which permits the release of two or more arrows simultaneously on a single full draw of a bow.
(10) Any other device or method of any kind prohibited by this title or regulations promulgated under this title.
[/ul]
(b) Exceptions. - The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
[ul](1) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope. No archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the target.
[/ul]
Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have asked our G&P personel about lighted sights and they said in Nebraska they are ok. The reason being it does not use the light to see the animal better. I would think that this site would have the same ruling.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, pretty much. As long as the sight doesn't magnify the animal or project light (illumination or laser) on the animal, it's okay in most places. All this sight does is use the electronics to project the "pin".
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM

Would make the trophy inelligible for Pope & Young, correct?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

The illuminated reticular for crossbows are legal in Pa. True?