HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Antler Restrictions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/186407-antler-restrictions.html)

kshunter 03-29-2007 01:59 PM

Antler Restrictions?

Does your state put antler restrictions on deer?If so, do you support it? And if not, would you support an antler restriction in your state? (ex. 4 points, or 3points ona side)

GMMAT 03-29-2007 02:02 PM

RE: Antler Restrictions?

No. Our state has no regs on antlers.

Yes. I would support it (in SOME form).

jerseyhunter 03-29-2007 02:07 PM

They have ARin some zones here. Where I hunt it's 3pts on one side.

passthru79 03-29-2007 02:07 PM

Illinois doesnt have any antler restrictions, I really think somthing should be done to keep small bucks from being harvested.

rybohunter 03-29-2007 02:35 PM

Yes we have em. I support em. But honestly I wish they weren't needed.

atlasman 03-29-2007 02:59 PM

No my state doesn't have antler restrictions (except some small pockets of voluntary QDM drones).

No, I would not support them in any way shape or form. Horrible idea that sends the worst possible message to young hunters IMO.

YooperMike 03-29-2007 03:00 PM

I hunt MI and IL. No restriction in either, but there needs to be and I would fully support it. The young hunters can shoot a doe.

Antler Addict 03-29-2007 03:17 PM

In my home state of Missouri, there are antler restrictions in certain counties. 2 years ago the conservation dept held meetings in various counties and asked landowners and hunters what they wanted. Earn a buck was an option along with antler restrictions and a few others. Antler restrictions is on a trial for several years to see if the age class of bucks would increase. More hunters in these selected counties voted on the measure. The county I own land in is one of the counties with AR. I am in favor of it, as I would rather shoot a doe as a young buck. During our youth season, however, these counties allow youth hunters to take any deer regardless of the size of the rack.

kansaswiderack 03-29-2007 03:18 PM

I don't think they are a good idea as there is always the odd buck or two that seem to have bad genetics and need to be removed for good herd management. I am also a believer in letting an individual make up his own mind on what is acceptable to take. As I get older I am more about a good clean harvest than a big rack. If the two come together thats great. Thats me .02 worth.

mauser06 03-29-2007 03:29 PM

we have them. my side of the state is 4pt. most of the state is 3pt to a side.

i have mixed feelings about it. it would be good if everyone played by the rules...but that aint the case...JRs, disabled people and some otheres get to take any buck...i have no problem with that...but factor in how many get killed illegally ontop of those legal numbers...and some areas dont gain much from the restrictions. first day of rifle i heard guys talking about shooting illegal bucks...i was on the highest ridge around 25 foot high in a tree and my radio has a 10-15 mile range so i couldnt pin point them..but it happens too often...

id love to see them work...but so far after a good 4+ seasons ive seen limited effects...

i do love the guys that shoot a 3.5+ year old buck and say something like "well thats proof antler restrictions work!" BS! that buck been legal for alot longer than the year you killed him!!

alot of 1.5yo bucks are legal in PA. we get alot of spikes and fork horns...but its not uncommon to see a 1.5yo with 6 or even 8pts. heck ive seen some 10pts that were 1.5yr old. thin short tined 6-8 inch spreads..but 1.5yo 10pts...PA definently has some decint genese behind there deer...weve always had some nice ones..

taxidermists and butchers say numbers of trophys gone way up...but guys i dont know...i still have mixed feelings about them yet