Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restrictions? >

Antler Restrictions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restrictions?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Antler Restrictions?

We started QDM 3 years ago on our property. We now have more big bucks, a more intense rut, and a better buck to doe ratio (just like the research said we would). My dad was totally against QDM at first until I told him this, if there was a 4 point, a 6 point, and 10 point infront of you which one would you shoot? His answer was obviously the 10pointer, My reply was if you let the bucks grow there will be a lot more 10 pointers. He then said what if a 4 point is a trophy to me? I said you've never mounted a 4pointer, but you have mounted 2 10pointers & 2 big 8pointers. Dad has sense come around to the right way of thinking. It comes down to self control, almost all hunters would rather shoot a bigger buck. The science has proved how to have more mature bucks, let go of your stubborn pride and open your mind, and if you are truley a "meat hunter" just shoot does, they taste better and there are plenty of them to shoot in most areas of the country.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

Is there anyone here that can honestly say, "I want to shoot that small 4-point instead of that monster 10-point"? Give me a break! We all want bigger bucks, otherwise we would squirrel hunt! There is no shame in that.

It is a "fact" that if you shoot a 4-point, he will never be a 10-point.
Ditto....(from my greedy side)
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM

I would like to someting here in MI ar might help but we do still have bucks that would meet the requirements that are year and half old deer my friend works in a butcher shop and they hadalot of young deer in there So I think we need something maybe even a 1 buck rule and doe permits where needed
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of our management units have them on an experimental basis.This season will be year three of the experiment.I do support them.I do believe there are better ways to improve the habitat,the deer herd,and the quality of hunting.But in the absence of those things being implemented,I will continue to welcome and support antler restrictions.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: onebadmutt

I would like to someting here in MI ar might help but we do still have bucks that would meet the requirements that are year and half old deer my friend works in a butcher shop and they hadalot of young deer in there So I think we need something maybe even a 1 buck rule and doe permits where needed
I have friends in MI that tell me the problems that exist there are the same as we had in PA. MI needs a management plan. Before AR and doe reduction all you saw at a butcher shop was 1.5 yr. oldspikesand 3 pts.and a bunch of does. The exceptions were bucks taken from private prop. and hunting leases.