Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

They're here!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: They're here!!!

Just for clarification.....a "yearling" is a 1.5 yr old. Heck....I'd shoot one in a minute! (I did, last year....shoot a yearling doe).

I'm gearing up for a bunch of 'em, this year, hopefully. ANY doe that doesn't have a fawn in tow is a target.......and once they're out of spots....they're ALL targets (does).
Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second that. Lots of old timers I hunt with won't shoot does(ecspecially little ones)and I try to tell them that we need to. Not so we can brag about all the deer we killed but becuase it is necessary and beneficial to the herd as a whole.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 2 yearlings last year. Ummm mmm! Damn they just taste too good!! I could eat that whole thing in one sitting!!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ANY doe that doesn't have a fawn in tow is a target.......
I don't mean to get off topic GMMAT, but what is you reason behind this. I am interested.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh my here we go again.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

beutiful, aint it?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair question, Gus....

ANY doe that doesn't have a fawn in tow is a target.......
I talked to my NCWRC wildlife biologist about the deer numbers I saw, last year, and asked him what my approach should be THIS season. He said I needed to thin the doe numbers. I then asked him if there were specific does (age/size?) that I should be targeting. he said ANY of them. HIS suggestion was to not be picky. he even suggested shooting ANY of them. He even siad the ones WITH fawns should be taken. His theory was to not be selective.

The statement I made above is MY choice. He suggested not even being THAT selective.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The statement I made above is MY choice. He suggested not even being THAT selective.
I guess I was more interested in why it was your choice.....
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair, again....

I may be misinformed.....but the general consensus I've read and been told tells me that a fawn out of spots is capable of surviving on its' own. Now....if I had my CHOICE....I'd have a chance to take the doe BEFORE she's bred and dropped a fawn.

That's my goal, this year......to not give several does that chance! I do have a heart, though.....and the thought of a little deer starving to death doesn't allow me to sleep, well.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

That picture made me wish I had a hatchet...

I'm kidding...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.