Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!! >

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Our G&F and legislators have passed a law that wil allow a bowhunter to carry a gun with them while bow hunting.
No limit on caliber. ANY GUN! Primary reason: "To protect the hunter from Grizz and/or Wolves while bow hunting."
You can also carry a shotgun if you want for upland game birds like Grouse.
I don't like this at all . . . and nobody that can do anything cares.
What do y'all think? If you don't like it, p.m. me and I'll get you the G&F's numbers or even the Governor!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

this is not a good thing! If there is no restriction on caliber what is to stop some one from harvesting their animal with a 7mm or 300 Win. Mag.? It should be restricted to something like a handgun 44 cal. or bigger using straight wall cartriges only!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have nothing against people who follow the law. Law breakers will be law breakers anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM

I don't see what the problem is. We've been doing it up here for years. If you're worried about guys suddenly becoming poachers by shooting stuff with rifles during bow season I've got bad news for you... it's not going to "create" poachers, people like that are going to do it anyway. This gives honest sportsmen a legal means to "protect" themselves. (Not that I personally agree they need that much protecting but to each their own.)
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I just don't understand why the poachers where I live wait until opening day of bow season to start poaching? Seems like if you're going to break the law, why not get an early start!?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys bring up some good points that i hadn't thought about!Its true the people that would use this law to poach are most likely already doing it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

In certain areas in the U.S. I think it is a good idea. I would hate to be staring at Grizzly bear with nothing but a bow......[]

Poachers will break the law regardless of what is put in place. It's the same thing as gun restrictions IMO. The only people thatare effeced by law are the law abiding citizens. The criminals will still get the guns regardless of what laws are in place.............they're Criminals....that's what they do!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing that should be mentioned is that with this law in place,it makes itall that much harder to catch a poacher, putting LEO's at a further disadvantage of enforcing the law.

Before, ifa WCOcaught a guy walking out of the woods with a bow in one hand, and a T/C encore 13" .223 scoped pistol in the other hand, the warden could just start writing out the fine. Now, you have to catch him in the act, which is much, much more difficult.

I'd say this law is OK if narrowly-drawn, and only used in areas where being attacked by bears/wolves is a legitimate threat.

We just passed a similar law in PA, and it's total trash. Broadly written (allows long-barreled, scoped, single-shothandguns), and we don't even have any apex predators native to this state, aside from your garden variety coyote or bobcat, maybe a black bear (nothing to be afraid of).Some people are just skeeredof the boogie man.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

The last time I checked the 2nd amendment guaranteed me the right to keep and bear arms.

I don't recall it saying anything to the effect of having the right to keep and bearexcept whenyou are hunting with a bow and arrow.

I don't give a rats butt if there has never been a hunter killed by a bear, lion or what ever while hunting with a bow. It is every law abiding citizens right to keep and bear arms 24/7.

So zip it andquit tearing down the 2nd amendment.

Anti gun nuts think the same way about controling your guns as you think about protecting yourself inthe woods. Lets restrict them to guns less than 50 caliber... Lets restrict them to only having 10 rounds... Lets restrict what their guns can look like... Lets restrict how many they can buy in a month... etc... etc...

Criminals are criminals. It does not matter what the laws on the books say. Haven't you learned this from all of the gun legislation that doesn't work?????????

Old 03-26-2007, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

One thing that should be mentioned is that with this law in place,it makes itall that much harder to catch a poacher, putting LEO's at a further disadvantage of enforcing the law.

Before, ifa WCOcaught a guy walking out of the woods with a bow in one hand, and a T/C encore 13" .223 scoped pistol in the other hand, the warden could just start writing out the fine. Now, you have to catch him in the act, which is much, much more difficult.
Was there a law that said that I can't carry a firearm in the woods during bow season? Most I've seen simply say that a firearm isn't a legal means of taking an animal not that I can't carry a firearm. I could just argue that I was plinking or squirrel hunting. If there were other legal, legitimate reasons to be in the woods with a firearm, which there always are... there would be a real tough case to be legally proven for writing me a ticket for hiking out with a bow and a rifle/pistol. I don't think this law really changes anything, they've still got to be caught in the act taking an animal through inappropriate means for the violation to stick.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a gun now in Wyoming!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.