Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HCA Iron Mace report card >

HCA Iron Mace report card

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HCA Iron Mace report card

Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default HCA Iron Mace report card

It is definately a bow to add to the list of "need to see". I feel I evaluated critically because I think HCA had an emotional breakdown when they went carbon crazy. They have a lot of work to do to gain their reputation back. Guys this is one heck of a start!!
Weight is light and balanced.
Draw is smooth throughout entire cycle.
Backwall is solid as a rock with no noise.
Even with two piece grip, there is no hand shock. The two piece grip is uncomfortable at full draw. The side of the carbon and the edge of the brace hurt the webbing of your thumb. Get a one piece black walnut grip.
It is very, very quiet. I think it beats anything I have seen to this point. No rattle, no vibe. I used a rear mount double sts.

And speed. Next generation speed. I shot it about 5 times at home and could tell. But I had to know. I took it to a shop yesterday. Completely set up G5 meta peep, string loop, and factory string jacks. 29 " draw 70#, 28 " maxima's 100 g tip w/feathers it chrono'd 327 fps. My speed pro max's chrono'd 368 fps!!!! I am a happy man. I am going to have to change my signature...........
Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Default RE: HCA Iron Mace report card

That's smokin.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: KS227

Completely set up G5 meta peep, string loop, and factory string jacks. 29 " draw 70#, 28 " maxima's 100 g tip w/feathers it chrono'd 327 fps.
That is sick speed...........any idea what those Maximas weigh?......I wonder what that thing would shoot a 350gr arrow at. WOW. How harsh is the draw cycle?

My speed pro max's chrono'd 368 fps!!!!

Can you shoot those things accurately??.........never seen them or shot them.........What are they........like 3 gr per lb or something?

That is insanely fast.............I wonder how much energy is going back into the bow though.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM

What's the let-off? 65% or 80%??
And what kind of $$???
Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

The draw cycle is smoother than my Allegiance.
The maxima's are 250's, @8 gr/ in. It is pretty close to a 350 gr setup. The speed pro max's shoot as good as any arrow around, they seem to be harder on you equipment.Because they don't offer any resistance to the string, I guess.
It is 65% let off and 85% letoff according to the website. My manual was ruined and I am waiting on a new one. I will shoot the higher letoff for hunting. I bought if on ebay for 575.00 new. It was a special order that the customer didn't pick up.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome - good to see High Country back. They revolutionized bowhunting as we knew it about 15 years ago. Looks like they're climbing back to the top again.

I know a pile of guys who went out and bought those sub-two-pound SSR bows with the Perf-X cam a while back - they're still raving about how great those bows are.

Be careful about those speed pro arrows guys - they'll void the warranty on any bow that's not a high country. Apparently, they're so light that it's similar to a dry-fire.

http://www.bowhunting.net/NewProducts/2003/03-HCA-SSR.html

Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't shot the Iron Mace, but I have drawn one and the draw is smooth, but it felt somewhat similar to the Guardian in that it feels heavier than it is. The one I drew was set at 65 lbs. and if felt like more than 70 to me.

KS227, you said the Speed Pro arrows are harder on equipment. How so? Do you feel some vibration or shock with those? I have heard similar reports on the Iron Mace with those arrows in terms of speed and that is just amazing. It makes it seem like a 400 fps bow is not that far off.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM

being some what knew to ths sport, i was wondering if the chrono i used at the local shop was right, thinking with my set up that my bow was pretty fast, but arrows flinging at over 320 fps, guess i was wrong, damn thats fast!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I HUMBLY think that the speed pros are tough on equip for all the reasons that are popping up. You'll get an occasional screw loosening that will cause a vibration, etc. Personally, I think HCA tested them over and over for limb failure and had none. So they said what the heck and went with it......regardless of anything else.
BK2,
If you are new to bowhunting, do yourself a favor and get a bow with a higher letoff and a higher brace height. I shot that bow in its first generation and second generation and it is a mean bow that is very unforgiving. No disrespect, but that bow will never let you know how good you really are.