Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Food Plot in the woods? >

Food Plot in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Plot in the woods?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot in the woods?

I planted Secret Spot a couple of years ago and it came up OK. Not great. My mistake was planting it in an area where there were too many trees. Not so much a sunlight issue, as it is an issue of the tree roots sucking the nutrients out of the soil.

My BIL, nephew, and I planted about 10,000 sf of Easyplot along an old skidder trail this weekend. We cleared it pretty well and used a weed eater to get the dirt uncompacted. After we planted, we drove over it with four wheelers to get good contact with the soil. PH was 6.5. That PH seems to be adequate though not perfect. We have some real good wild clover growing in an area with the same PH.

Next year I'm going to start earlier by preparing seed beds in January or February as long as it doesn't conflict with my late season bowhunting.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Take a chainsaw, cut a hole in the canopy. Use the trees to make travel routes (or block ways you don't want them to go). Round up the vegetation. Wait a week, go in and rake your butt off. It is a pain, but worth it. The bonus you get is that you can use any clover or seed you want. In the undergrowth that you round up'd to give your seed a head start; raking = plowing. Plant clover, not the semi attractive stuff in no plow. It is very tiring, but worth it. I don't have pictures, sorry. But I have done in 4 years in a row. Every time I find a OOOHHHH spot in the woods.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: boldplate

I thought most of the Secret Spot was for late fall when the leaves fell off the trees. I have not used it but plan to this year.
I dont mean to be a smart one but the bag says give it time to reach matureaty and then it is good for 45 days so I would plant it a little later on or just refresh it