Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Food Plot in the woods? >

Food Plot in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Plot in the woods?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Food Plot in the woods?

I'm curious if anyone uses or has used No-Plow or Secret Spot or a similar type of seed to plant near thier stands.
I hunt in the woods on ridges w/ a canopy and not many openings for too much light.
Has anyone had success w/ this stuff and can you just throw it down w/o too much prep work.
I assume a little raking would be required.
Pics would be welcome.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Food Plot in the woods?

ive always wondered the same thing because your set up sounds a lot like mine.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

i put one out today...i just raked all the vegatation from the area and used a broadcast spreader. The bag just said to use a spot where it gets atleast 6 hours of sun a day
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 PM

here's a bump as I'd be interested to hear how something like this works too.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: wabashbowhunt

i put one out today...i just raked all the vegatation from the area and used a broadcast spreader. The bag just said to use a spot where it gets atleast 6 hours of sun a day
Have you done this before? I have a bag of Secret Spot that won't cover a real big area.
I'm curious if it will work in a wooded area like a hillside or ridge top.
It probably won't cover a large area , but will it pull deer on their way to a bedding area in the AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

i put no "secret spot" behind my house about 2 years agoand it came up well but it didn't seem to bring in the deer like i woulda liked to see..it may be because we only have 4 "regulars" comin to the dinner table and i live between the township and city...they still eat it now and then tho!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MidwestJ

here's a bump as I'd be interested to hear how something like this works too.
I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't had more response.
Maybe no one usesthis tactic.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM

I have tryed it where they have cut logging trails. We could drive up in there so I took the roto tiller and rake. With a bag of Lime and 10-10-10 and it works fine. You need to get it in the ground when it wet and in plenty of time thought. I got mine in a little late and we had a dry spell about the time I put it in. I came up about a week later after a good rain. I dont have any pics but it worked great considering I did everything wrong you possiable could of. I seen 3 or 4 deer afternoon they were the regulars in the area I guess
Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

im really curiouse about this as well i put up almost the same question in the wildlife forum section. Im def gonna try it this year and i will keep you upo to date on the progress. I live on Cape Cod MA and we have really sandy soil here.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have just started amy plots 2 weeks ago. A test spot with no-plow, extreme, and Alfa rack. The no plow is coming up pretty good with very limited light. The extreme and Alfa-rack are not coming up as well. The majority of my plots are Clover and throw and go(or grow) don't remember. The mixture seems to be doing well. I will try and post some pictures soon. I added Lime and no fertilizer( why I am not sure, But they are coming up fairly well considering very little rain). The clover is also doing well with the limited light as well. This is my first year with plots, so I am kind of learning on the fly. Having fun though.

Quick Reply: Food Plot in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.