Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Reason" for taking a deer.... >

"Reason" for taking a deer....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Reason" for taking a deer....

Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Reason" for taking a deer....

The main reason I kill deer is for the meat, I love venison!!!! I hunt because I love being in the woods and the chase! Some reason I won't take a deer is if its a buck fawn or I don't have total confidence in the shot I'm about to take! I want to have a clean kill!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 PM

id say the main reason for me is for the meat. i love the meat and like to have a freezer full every year. i will take does, in fact i do every year. most of the time it will not bother me if the fawn is present even though many here would probably disagree with that. i like to control the populations too. there are a lot of deer around here that get hit every year, and there are not enough hunters around here, but i think thats a good thing for me because more meat for me!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love being in the woods

I love to kill deer ...yes, I love the kill ... the summation of all the effort

I love to eat deer
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I like shooting deer. I don't eat them anymore for the most part due to time but I still like shooting them from time to time.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Because they look so good next to the potatoes and gravy.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I step into the woods, the decision is almost always already made onwhat type of deer I intend to shoot if given the chance. At the moment I see the deer I am only thinking of getting a good clear shot. Nothing else.

Now, mostly the biggest criteria on whether I shoot a deer is "do I have a tag?" Next is did I already shoot one recently and do I have room to take care of the processing on the new one. Sometimes I've lined up someone to take it before I even head out. BB almost never get shot.I'll shoot does with fawns. Bucks have to meet my personal restrictions. I won't shoot does as the rut nears in case a buck is behind them. Unless I have no deer at all, which is rarely the case.
I went thru a slow transition on holding out for older/bigger bucks. I wish I'd have let a few more go back then. Regret is probably a littletoo strong a word. More of a hind sightis 20/20 deal.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:38 PM

I hunt for the pleasure of getting out and seeing nature at its best. I really enjoy having deer get under my stand and have no clue that I am around. But I would have to say its the primitive feeling I get that I like the most. Someone made a thread a while back about killing and thats what its all about. To say I hunt to fill the freezer is not true. I make a decent pay check and do not go out into the woods saying that I hope I can score cause I sure need the money. Eating the deer is only the affect from the cause. I like deer, and do not waste it but not doing it so I can eat. What goes through my head when I first see adeer is I say a prayer. I ask God that if he cannot give me a clean shot that will be fatal then do not let the deer come into range. So if I do not have a 100% shot then I do not shoot and that is one of the first things that goes though my head. Then I try and make sure there is no spots, wife dislikes that, but nothing better then fork tender meat!! After a taking a few bucks I am now starting to be selective on the head gear. I have taken three nice eight pointers and a few smaller ones so now I am passing on small bucks in hoping on making bigger bucks for next season and hoping a big boy will walkin range. Saying that though I had tag soup this year!

Also I dislike felling like I have told hold back on here. This is a hunting forum! If we cant speak freely here then we may as wellcall retreat cause the antis are winning!! This should be the last place we worry about what we say cause of the antis!!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

When i and my son take a doe it is for QDM and the meat both. Im a head hunter, so that means for the trophy size rack, and if i dont get a chance at a big one then i wont shoot one at all (happened this season) As for my 15 year old son goes, He has killed quite a few for his age and is now getting a little more picky on size.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love the woods, watching deer, antlers, deermeat (esp back straps) and most of all, the thrill of the kill!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 PM

I deer hunt for the meat and the thrill, when I crow or varmint hunt, that's just for the thrill of the kill.

Quick Reply: "Reason" for taking a deer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.