HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Turkey hunting with a 7 yr old (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/185772-turkey-hunting-7-yr-old.html)

KS227 03-23-2007 09:35 PM

Turkey hunting with a 7 yr old

Help!
My daughter wants to go this year. Any suggestions on locating setting up atent blindand calling. Or do I go out and set up the blind preseason and treat it like a deer hunt andhope to callthem in. Or do I go back to the shotgun and locate, call and have her plug her ears. She really is interested in bowhunting and I really want to make a good impression.The shotgun option is probablyafter all else fails, by the way. Thanks fellas.

BullRider115 03-23-2007 10:00 PM

RE: Turkey hunting with a 7 yr old

I am in the same boat with you. I think you should have the birds patterned before you take her out. I wouldn't make it a full day with a child but, most definitely use a pop up blind or hub to conceal her movements. Don't forget the coloring books and crayons in your turkey vest for when she gets bored. Make it as interesting as possible but, don't get frustrated if she wants to come in early. I will be taking my 4 yearold daughter out with me at least once this spring. Should be interesting..........

toddr96 03-23-2007 10:03 PM

A great introduction into bowhunting! Well planned turkey hunts make a great intro to hunting for kids.

Use the bow and explain your reasons for choosing it over the shotgun (noise, challenge, skill required, etc.) Setup on the blind is a touchy subject on many forums, but here is my opinion. Blinds work better for me forturkeys when set out in the open (i.e., at least 15 yards from the tree line in an opening or field) because the darn things come from every angle and basically ignore the blind when they see the decoys, so you may have to shoot180 degrees fromwhere you expect to get your shot. Calling from the blind is just fine as long as the birds are somewhat in line with you and your decoy. I have seen many birds shy off and disappear when the call wasn't coming from the direction of the decoy. I always quit calling when the bird is in sight of the decoy unless he's about to hot-foot it out of the country. If you're hunting exclusive-access land (and most of us don't), then leaving the blind is fine, but I just take the blind in with me well before the birds come down out of the trees in the morning. You never know who sees your blind when you are not there, and they are not cheap to replace! I am not worried about the birds being blind-shy when they see it for the first time because it's the first time they've seen the decoys also, and they almost always key on the decoy. Again, this is just my opinion!

Don't forget to have your kid video the hunt: it'll probably be a poorly producedvideo from your point of viewbut an irreplaceable memory for both of you!!!

gregholland 03-24-2007 05:14 AM

I'd say just do it as you have always done it. Kids like to move so maybe a half hour to an hour in one spot is good and then move. That should alleviate some bordum for her. Good luck. Take some pics and show us how it went. Good luck.

Paul L Mohr 03-24-2007 05:39 AM

It won't matter how you do it as long as you try and make it fun. DO NOT expect to be successful. Turkey hunting is pretty challenging as it is, taking a young child will just be that much more of a challenge. If you get one that is great, but don't make that your goal. Just have fun showing her the outdoors and looking at the animals. Work on having her be quiet and still, but don't expect any miracles. And don't be afraid to talk, even if it ruins the hunt. This is great time to get close to her.

If it were me, I would do some scouting (take her along for that as well) and set the blind up ahead of time. I would also take the gun and try to make it a short hunt. It is best not to test the indurance of 7 year olds;).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Paul

KS227 03-24-2007 05:58 AM

Golden info guys!!!!

markly99 03-24-2007 06:15 AM

If she is interested in bow hunting then take the bow not the gun. If you get a bird that's great but if not you haven't lost anything. You got to spend the day with your daughter doing what you love and she got to spend the day with her daddy which is what she loves. Personally I have more fun fishingwith my girls (still to young to hunt my wife says)then I ever have with the buddies. They are only young once so enjoy it!!!!

P.S. I think it's great your taking her.

9th tine 03-24-2007 07:32 AM

I agree,Explain how you hunt and if you run and gun(bow) she would probley enjoy it as a great adventure with Dad.
If you do have them patterned and can set up a hour before they travle
thru that area it would take away the bordom issue.
Anytime you take a child hunting it's a adventure and time to treasure in itself.
All my kids are grown now,,But the grandkid's are getting up there.
I wish you and your Daughter all the luck in your adventure.

livinfortherut 03-24-2007 06:30 PM

I know what your going thru as well I promised to take my 4 year old nephew out with me and now I can leave to go scouting without hum on my tail. He is pumped up about going and I'm lovin every minute of it. I agree with the others as long as you keep them from getting board they be fine. my nephew likes the box call so I'll probly let him run that. Will I shoot a turkey ? who cares. best of luck to all of you taking kids out in the woods with you, we need more of them getting involved.