Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead practice >

Broadhead practice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead practice

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Broadhead practice

I'm a firm believer in practicing with what you'll be hunting with,so I shoot broadheads, only broadheads,all the time.Ihear alot of folks mention that they can't get theirBHs to hit where their FPs hit.[:@]While some BHs will get close to FPaccuracy, most don't. So why not just get accurate with BHs if you're a bowhunter? I set aside 6 BHs for practice and use "brand new heads" only,for the hunt.
Some say BH practice kills their targetandtears up vanes (spot shoot), which my be the case, but I think it's worththe accuracy. How manyother folksout there shoot only BHs?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Broadhead practice

i cant say that i am. however about a month or 2 before the season starts i will only shoot bhs.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot them all year around, simply to save on wear and tear of my targets... I tune my bows well enough that my broadheads will hit where my field points hit. I start shooting broadheads a bit before the season starts, but only to verify everything's still spot-on. I will still shoot field points during the season in the back yard, because I'm confident that my broadheads are hitting the same mark. My only concern with just moving sights to hit where broadheads hit would be that it could possibly be covering up tuning issues.

Now, if someone took the time to go through all the various tuning steps available to us with the broadheads installed that'd be great.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM

The mechanics behind accurate shooting are the same regardless of whether you use broad heads or field points. You may have a different impact point between the two sometimes, but if one is not as accurate as the other you have set up or arrow issues.

There is just no need to shoot broad heads all the time. Field points are better on targets and safer to handle. I shoot enough that using broad heads all the time would just not be practicle. And I shoot in some places where you just plain can't do it.

When I get a bow or new arrows or change a rest I will tune it to where I am satisfied, then check to see how it shoots fixed blades (if I am using them on that particular set up) and touch it up if it needs it. Then I will not mess with them again until hunting season. And then I only shoot them a few times to be sure everything is still spot on.

When I initially set up my bow up or get new arrows I will shoot every arrow with and without a fixed blade head and mark the arrows. The best 3-6 arrows get set aside for hunting only. I install new blades on them and put them away until hunting season. They will get shot once more for a check before season and not again until there is an animal in front of me.

That is how I do it anyway. I know some that shoot broad heads most of the time, but they don't shoot a hundred arrows or more a day. Maybe that in a year in some cases.

Paul
Old 03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Paul on this one. Shooting a broadhead all the time doesnt make you anymore accurate than shooting a fieldtip and switching to a broadhead. Personaly I dont have the kind of money required to replace several expensive targets and broadheads every year. I shoot field points which are cheapand save targets. Usualy about a month before season Ill switch strictly to broadheads.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM

I stick with field points for my daily shooting (30-40 shots)for target wear. I'd probably shoot out a target every couple of months with broadheads, and the 3D shoots only allow field points. These shoots have been exceptional hunting practice that I wouldn't want to miss. When bear or turkey or elk season comes around, then I'll switch back to my hunting arrows and broadheads well enough in advance to make sure that I hit where I aim (usually 3-4 weeks). Daily practice is more about creating muscle memory for proper, repeatable form than making sure your equipment is correct because most of our modern equipment will shoot straighter than our form errors will allow. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 PM

I shoot broadheads almost exclusively........and I shoot A LOT. I will shoot field tips for a few weeks (like right now) just to get some of the rust off.......then it's blades for the rest of the year. I make sure that my BH's are hitting with my fieldtips before I put the tips away but then I just set a few arrows aside with tips on them for 3D or indoor stuff.

I am a firm believer in practicing how I hunt. I shoot from a ladder stand in hunting clothes more often then not. I shoot sitting, standing, wind, rain, and at all kinds of yardages. I shoot super fast, hold for a couple minutes, and through and around many obstacles in my yard. I just don't see much benefit from shooting in a T-Shirt at 20 yards at a bag target with field tips.

When hunting season comes I have been buzzing targets for so long that I have total confidence in hitting my spot if I get the chance. I know many people feel just as confident only shooting BH a few times but I don't. It's just my personality.......I don't like leaving anything to chance......I don't want to think, I want to KNOW everything is 100% ready to roll. I even keep an arrow or two with BH's on them to shoot all through the season at lunch breaks and when I get home at night or days off just to sharp (pun intended).

It makes me more comfortable and confident........I suggest everyone finds what routine does that for them whatever that is.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 AM

what about the practice blades? some broad heads come with practice blades (never given an edge some times a different shape) do you use the reall blades or the practice blades? I wonder if the practice blades will give the same flight performance of the hunting blades.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot Muzzy 100gr andthey have practice blades. They are much more forgiving on a target and shoot just like the real blades.Altas, that sounds like a GREAT practice routine, I wish I could practice from a stand like that. I can only shoot straight down the side of my house, 25yrds max.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with shooting blades all the time. If that is what you want to do and it makes you confident then by all means do it. That is the most important thing in hunting, feeling confident about your skill.

I'm just saying that for most I don't feel it is something you have to do is all. And for some it just isn't even an option.

Paul

Quick Reply: Broadhead practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.