Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New "survival" forum? >

New "survival" forum?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New "survival" forum?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New "survival" forum?

I placed the request below in the "Enhancement Request / Wish List" forum. If you think it is a good idea, please go over there and say so. If not, I guess you could say that too.

There are a lot of reasons that we, as hunters, should be taking survival skills seriously, and many of us carry much of what we’d need to survive if necessary in our packs while hunting. I am in the process of reevaluating my pack and changing some of the contents to lighter weight items. Sure they may not be as good, but I am hoping to never use them, and will be of great benefit if they’re ever needed.

I like to use this time of year to overcome cabin fever and take the kids out to camp as much as possible. During these outings I like to make use of my time by testing different methods of survival and try new things. It could be something found outside that occurs naturally, or store bought. For instance this year I’m going to be teaching my children how to make fire without anything store bought. Last year I taught them how to make a good shelter and where it should be placed, and we focused on what to do if lost.

Being with children outdoors is great, and when you’re able to teach them some cool tricks that may one day save their lives, that is even better. I can't think of a better place to share info on this subject. Besides, my children like many love this kind of activity and I'm sure yours do or would as well, but my reason for this post is to see if anyone is interested in a “survival” forum. Please respond if you think you could make use of such a forum.

Thanks,

KP

Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Default RE: New "survival" forum?

I couldn't agree with this more. I took my first survival course while still a boy scout, my instuctor was an ex-Seal. The guy was fightin crime in another dimension but I learned alot. Since then, I don't step foot into the woods without a survival kit of some kind. Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Camping - I bring supplies everytime, no exception.

I posted this with your suggestion too. I'm with you on this one, Great Idea!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put in the same request six or seven months ago , thought for sure they would have made one when they updated their site.
It is a good idea and I couldn't agree more , I think alot of members would bennefit from such a forum.
I learned basic survival skills back when I was in boy scouts and it's not just emergency first aid but how to survive in the wild outdoors.
Learning to make ( lean to's ) and other selters , knowing what plants are safe to eat , identifying tracks and other signs.
Granted you don't use these skills in everyday life but it's nice to know those kind of things if you ever get lost for a long time and it helps you be a better woodsman.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea as well guys. Here at school whereI teachin our 8th grade health curriculumn for "safety in the outdoors" we teach both basic survival skills and simple shelter construction. Its a kick, kids love it..
Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 AM

Not that big of a deal where I live. When I go hunting I take what ever weapon I am using (bow/gun), a good knife and maybe something to drink or snack on. Other than that I don't take anything else.

It just isn't that open where I live, if you walked for 20 minutes, an hour at most you would be at someones house or in another town. As long as you didn't get lost or something.

Paul
Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: shed33

I like the idea as well guys. Here at school whereI teachin our 8th grade health curriculumn for "safety in the outdoors" we teach both basic survival skills and simple shelter construction. Its a kick, kids love it..
Thats a really cool idea - having some outdoor stuff thrown into a class' curriculumn. I like it! I wish my school would have done something like that.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Not that big of a deal where I live. When I go hunting I take what ever weapon I am using (bow/gun), a good knife and maybe something to drink or snack on. Other than that I don't take anything else.

It just isn't that open where I live, if you walked for 20 minutes, an hour at most you would be at someones house or in another town. As long as you didn't get lost or something.

Paul
This doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a topic on the boards. It may not bea problem for you, but think of others who hunt the "big woods" and more remote hunting camps.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't take much area to be stranded in the event that you become injured, and "if you don't get lost" seems open to interpretation...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Im for it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM

Agreed

You can drown in a puddle - it doesn't take much. The same goes for getting lost. I've gotten temporarily turned around in areas that I have been crawling around in for years. Anything can and does happen.

Quick Reply: New "survival" forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.