HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Mechanicals or fixed for large Black bears (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/185667-mechanicals-fixed-large-black-bears.html)

broadfieldpoint 03-23-2007 07:04 AM

Mechanicals or fixed for large Black bears

Gettin ready to go on a spring Alberta black bear hunt. i have been thinking about using a mechanical instead of the Montecs...what do y'all think???

njbuck22 03-23-2007 07:19 AM

RE: Mechanicals or fixed for large Black bears

I too am going bear hunting in Canada this spring and have the same question. I normally shoot NAP Spitfires and have seen how deadly they are on deer, just wondering if they would work the same on Yogi. I have noticed watching some black bear bow hunts on Youtube that a good amount of guys were using expandables. Hopefully we hear some good advice.

broadfieldpoint 03-23-2007 08:19 AM

I think its a pretty even toss up with hunters who shoot bears regularly. the one thing that i have heard about mechanicals is that you MUST have a broadside shot to avoid haging up the braodhead on impact.However...i can live with that. What i am looking for is accuracy of flight.

ahunter55 03-23-2007 08:42 AM

Ive taken a couple very large Black Bears in the past with 3 blade Rocky Mountain heads. Excellent results.
I see it's about the same on who uses one or the other.
I have seen a few shots on various biggame with expandables that did not get the penetration a fixed head would have. I want a pass through (my personal preference).I amstarting my 51st year as a Bowhunter & have one rule I like to consider-the "fewer moving parts" in the fieldIS fewer problems. Good luck on your Bowhunt-It "IS" a rush when they come into the bait.

jmbuckhunter 03-23-2007 02:47 PM

Black bear hides are not very thick and their ribs aren't that tuff either. But you need to put whatever head you use behind the shoulde blade. It will stop most heads cold. A friend of mine uses Rocket Hammerheads, 3 blade mechanical with a 2" dia. cut. He gets some easy blood trails to follow. The big hole helps because the bears fur will soak up a lot of blood.

I killed my only Black Bear with a 4 Blade, 90 gr. Muzzy. It zipped thru so fast the bear never knew it was shot. It just backed down the tree and started to walk away. Only made it 10 yards from the tree and fell over dead. And I got it on video too.

tsoc 03-23-2007 02:58 PM

I have killed a bear with a mechanical head.Rocket steelhead 11/8 diameter.I got a complete pass through on a 225 pound bear.I wasn't hunting bear specifically at that time.If I were to be hunting in a baited bear situation where the shots are likely to be 10 to 15 yard shots at a bear that is fairly preoccupied I would opt for a fixed blade head,likely a magnus stinger or one of the other fixed blades that have a reputation for penetration,accuracy and toughness and of course fly well out of my set up.

KodiakArcher 03-23-2007 02:59 PM

I'm going to Prince of Whales Island with my 125 gr. NAP Spitfires.

MN/Kyle 03-23-2007 03:22 PM

I prefer Fixed Blades for bear. I think you get better penetration with them, but, broad...i suppose its whatever you practice with and are accurate with. oh, and if you decide on using a mechanical broadhead, it better be a tekan2 gotta love the g5's...

Roskoe 03-23-2007 08:28 PM

So what's wrong with the Montecs? They seem to fly extremely well out of well tuned bow with properly spined arrows. And they are hard to sharpen- kinda like a Buck knife - but will stay sharp very well once you get'um sharp in the first place.

redmag 03-24-2007 09:55 AM

Don't shoot expandables myself, but I hunt with a buddy that uses them and I have seen 2 bears shot with mechanicals that I am very sure would have gotten away using a convential fixed head. The 1 shot in particular enteredto the right of the backbone and exited on the same side part way down the side. It tore such a big opening that the bear lost blood and entrails and was recovered within 100 yds. Just my observations with the expandables.

Jim