Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

85 grains seems a bit light (IMHO) you might go to 100grains.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another one to consider if you're willing to go to 100 grains... I think if you remove the smaller bleeder blades it gets close to 85 grains.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but here's a pic... Muzzy Phantom.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Montec, hands down.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Wow,I just got back online.....To answer a few questions.
Nope, I'm not a kid, I'm a full growed up6th grade graduate.
(That's Jethro Bodine from Beverly Hillbillies, to tell my age). I pull 70#.
I'm upgrading to a used AR-31 or Hoyt Razortec.
Always shot aearly 80s Pearson Spoiler 65% let-off.28 in draw.
Easton 2215s GGII with Old Satellite Titans, whichare pretty heavy. (I want to say 150-175 gr.?) All-in-All, pretty heavy set-up which equals SLOW. This is all from memory....Plenty ofKE for it's day. Chrono-d at 220 fps once with lighter fieldpoints. Almost always had pass through shots (never over 20 yd. shots).
Needless to say, it didthe job many times.

I'm looking for faster withthe new rig, not that just about anything will be faster.I'll be shooting Carbon arrows (CE). I'm just looking for the right BH.I wouldn't think 85 gr.would be too light, I don't wantthe KEto suffer so much for speed. I'm not opposed to 100's.
Again just looking for the right BH.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I was hoping to elicit a response as to why he didn't like "hole punchers" (because I sensed a negative connotation).

I've always used COC, except one season. But certainly not opposed to new ideas.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Deep Chatham

I'm not opposed to 100's.
That would widen your options immensely.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Site Bouncer

I have used the G5 Montecs with great results. I also tried out Razorcaps last year and they performed well too. I found though that they need more spin testing than the Montecs do. It seems like every Montec spins perfect.It makes for setting up your arrows pretty easy. They do need a little more attention to get them sharp but I don't mind sharpening, in fact I prefer it, so the Montec is a great fit for me. They fly very good and are sturdy enough to punch through bone.

If you can get a broadhead sturdy enough to perform the same as a chisel head yet have the deep penetrating benefit of cut on contact...........you have the best of both worlds and IMHO the Montec is one of those broadheads. The only down side is you do have to work at getting them sharp. I have it down to a science so it's a non factor for me, but I can see where others would not want to bother.

If you like to sharpen your broadheads you will not be disappointed in the Montec.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

I have used the G5 Montecs with great results. I also tried out Razorcaps last year and they performed well too. I found though that they need more spin testing than the Montecs do. It seems like every Montec spins perfect.It makes for setting up your arrows pretty easy. They do need a little more attention to get them sharp but I don't mind sharpening, in fact I prefer it, so the Montec is a great fit for me. They fly very good and are sturdy enough to punch through bone.

If you can get a broadhead sturdy enough to perform the same as a chisel head yet have the deep penetrating benefit of cut on contact...........you have the best of both worlds and IMHO the Montec is one of those broadheads. The only down side is you do have to work at getting them sharp. I have it down to a science so it's a non factor for me, but I can see where others would not want to bother.

If you like to sharpen your broadheads you will not be disappointed in the Montec.
Man your not just anothera pretty face
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Hey Deep I have been shooting Montecs from the first and they are great they fly like a field point. And they are very easy to sharpen with a good stone. I have shot five deer with them 2 P&Y and 3 doe all pass throughs I won't change any more blades lol! Goodluck!!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Looks like a new head from Steel Force this year............NICE!! I might have to give these a try.

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.