Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase. >

Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

ORIGINAL: chiefks

I am not the one NOT SUPPORTING hunting here.
But you are supporting a form of hunting that the majority of people (hunters and non-hunters alike) find unethical.

I can understand the utilization of high fence hunting when the ranch in question is in the thousands of acres for species not native to our country.

I don't feel a 4' barbwire fence would be considered a "high-fence" or unethical hunt. Hell, if it is, I've been hunting unethically for the past six years. I hunt 130 acres of a cattle ranch. We keep the cows in with 4' barbed wire fences. Those deer jump the fences on a regular basis.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Perhaps I should clarify myself. I do not support small pen hunting, that is not hunting to me.As I stated before, each high fence ranch should be judged by itself instead of throwing them all togather and just saying that its not an ethical hunt. Some high fence ranches provide a ethical hunting experience and some do not.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own ....
Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that any ranchwhether it is 5 acres or 1,000 acres or 10,000 acrescan be and is manipulated by the people running the ranch or owning the land. They know where the animals are on their properties or about where the animals are because many of these places are feeding/baiting as well as having a fence. You can easily isolate and predict animal locations when you are the one ringing the dinner bell, 10,000 acres can get a lot smaller if you only have 10-20 feeding stations or watering holes, and yes technically the animals could leave but why would they when they are motivated by survival and for the most part that means food, water, and a decent amount of cover. Just like the thread that this oneapparently stemmed from the hunter was "informed" of a nice group of elk in a particular area. I don't hunt there and I am admittedly ignorant to a lot ofinformation about Texas and ranch hunting(high fence, low fence, orno fence), but somebody knows what animals they have on their land and aboutwhere they are located, thenthat person tells others where to go(effectively reducing the size of the hunting area), andin the eyes of many that takes a little of the "chase" out of it, no comment on the "fair" part as each situation has it's own details and I was not there. Just a thought, I'm not too interested in this topic anymore but it is never going away, I tend to straddle the fence on this one because I can see there are valid points on both sides of the topic.Different regions orareas or states have different rules, laws, traditions and I try not to judge too harshly since I have never been too far from my home state and don't have first hand knowledge or any kind of personal hunting experience in other areas/states. I have taken flack before on this site for certain hunting methods practiced in my home state of VAand having grown up here and havingbeen introduced to those hunting methodsby men that I admire and respect who are good men that I still practice those methods with,Itook those attacks or flackas an attack on me and thosepeople I care about, (I' hope you guys understand what I meant there) almost like they were saying what we were doing is wrong and passing judgement on us when they did not even know us and many had never even hunted in VA. So I guess my point isI try not do that to othersand even thoughI do still have opinions on the topics I try tonever let "my" opinion(no matter how strong)keep me from seeing anothers point. If you read all of this, sorry for the length.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Very intelligent and well thought out post NEW61375. I didntwant to ask if the elk on another post were being fed or not...wonder if they were.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Well, Anna Marie, it seems that the ranch that you specified to mein a PM, called Seidensticker's in Comfort, is owned by a gentleman who hasbeenconvicted of poaching elk inMontana. His wife was alsoconvicted of poaching as well, in addition to illegally posesssing and transporting Rocky Mountain elk.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/article_5273.aspx

I have said all I want to say, but I think this GOVERNMENT article will speak for itself, and others here can form their own opinions now based on the facts and history of this ranch owner.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was waiting for just this kind of opportunity. And I knew it would come in time.Campo, I lost all respect for you back during the bowhunting contest. You killed a little buck and would not enter it for our team. You said you were going to get a bigger one for the competition. You were told several times that it had to be your first buck killed. But you just ignored the rest of the team, and did your own thing. You broke the rules of the contest. What kind of example does that set for the rest of us hunters. Yet you are the first to judge someone who is not breaking any rules.

Thanks for allowing me to get in my rant.

Your TEAM 10 POINT TEAMMATE

John Mueller

PS: No reply is needed. I am not going to argue with you. But I feel a whole lot better now.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruh-Roh!! (in my best Scooby Doo voice)
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

I am sticking my nose in here. Obviously this thread supposedly about the differences between fair chase hunting and high fence hunting is STILL referencing to and debating about another thread. It keeps returning to confront a person who killed an elk. Its done!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Campo

Well, Anna Marie, it seems that the ranch that you specified to mein a PM, called Seidensticker's in Comfort, is owned by a gentleman who hasbeenconvicted of poaching elk inMontana. His wife was alsoconvicted of poaching as well, in addition to illegally posesssing and transporting Rocky Mountain elk.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/article_5273.aspx

I have said all I want to say, but I think this GOVERNMENT article will speak for itself, and others here can form their own opinions now based on the facts and history of this ranch owner.

You Sir are an *******!!!

Bo