Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase. >

Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

For those of you who have not visited this site, you should. It clarifies what constitutes ethical and fairhunting.
http://www.huntfairchase.com/

An example of what I do NOT consider fair chase. I buy a massivered stagand place him in my low fenced pasture, let him wander around for a week or two, feeding on the corn that I put out for him. Then, one day, my friend says, "Hey Campo, give you $1500 if I can shoot that thing." Could the animal run? Sure. Did he? No, cause he was being fed to be killed. Is this an ethical kill? Yes, animal died in a humane manner. Would the hunter get my respect? Absolutely not! Was the animal native to the area? It was 500 years ago, but not in this day and age. Was the animal GRAIN FED BY HUMANS? Yes, it was, which makes it no different than farming to me.
I am moving out to Colorado this summer to hunt elk in a fair chase environment most of the fall. I have thus far read three books, bought countless mapping programs to study the terrain and find out where the elk like to hole up. I have spent countless hours at the gym, working out so I can actually have breathe at 8500'. This is what I consider fair chase. I have been doing research now for months, and will continue to do so.
I didnt just walk up to a fenced in area and go, "Hey man, mind if I shoot that 1200# corn fed elk you have there." Sorry, this is obviously a rant, but, it is how I feel, and also the reason I recently got fired up in another post.
There, I said my part, in my own thread. Now...flame away if you want, but I am busy trying to find elk outside my 1400 acrepen.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Again, I understand the point you were trying to make,youdefinitely have the right to your own opinion. I hope you read my reply to you on the other threadadressingyour claims. Was this elk native, no. Was he confined to certain area by human means, no. Was he tame, definitely not. Everyone has theirown ideas on this topic, andI consider it fair chase when the animal isNOT tame, trained, or pinned into a certain acreage.Thank you for your comments, and I hope you understand mine.

Also, this Elk was not bought, he was nearly 10 years old. The previous owner of the land has only been there4 years. Please, if anything get your facts straight and don't assume things about other's hunts. I have hunted Texas 11 years and know alot about highfenced and fair chase hunts. If you have that much experience hunting Texas, than kudos and your opinion is backed by personal experience, and if you don't you are ignorant to the situation. I believe I have made my point, so I will not post any further replies to this topic on this thread. Thank you.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM

No problem, I would still like an apology though concerning your claim that I "stated" your hunt was high fenced...I never made such a claim.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Campo,
I understand your point, and it's valid. What I don't understand is why you have to get "fired up", as you said, in the first place. I've noticed that there are quite a few folks that try to make their point but end up doing so in amanner that sounds confrontational. Inevitably, someone with a similartalent will have a differing opinion and the flame-spraying starts. I've never hunted a fenced in hunt in my life, and don't care to, but that's my choice. I don't see any reason toslam someone who choses to do so.
It seems to me that it genuinely upsets some people that everyone doesn't share their beliefs on a certain topic. What a boring world this would be if we all thought the same and shared the same opinions. Why try to make other people see things your way? I know there are some people that thrive on confrontation. I know.... I was married to one of them. I just don't understand.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM

I hope you don't wind up disillusioned when you get to Colorado. This fair chase stuff happens pretty regular in the National Forest, but many private land hunts are deals where there is an agricultural food source that causes the hungry elk to congregate there- particularlyduring cold weather. They are technically wild elk, but they are also living on a ranch that manages the land to maximize the elk habitat - so that elk will stay there in large numbers. And in many cases, the rancher simply waits until the elk are "in"; and then calls the hunter to come down and harvest one.

They have an interesting hunt in New Mexico called the "Governer's Tag". It is a deal where rich people bid on a single elk tag. It usually takes six figures or so to win the bidding war. Then the well-paid guides scour the most elk rich reserve in the state looking for a bull that will meet the client's standards. Once the bull is located, the guide calls in his GPS coordinates and stays out in the woods - maintaining a visual on the bull - until the hunter can be flown in and then ATV'ed in to the location to shoot the bull. After the photos, he is whisked back to his Leer jet and the next time he sees his elk, it is being delivered from the taxidermist. How does that grab you for fair chase?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Campo

No problem, I would still like an apology though concerning your claim that I "stated" your hunt was high fenced...I never made such a claim.

I usually don't get involved in threads like this for obvious reasons. But, it is you who owes her an apology. Here is a direct quote by you from the other thread where you accused her of lying to everyone on here.

"Now, kudos to you for taking down that massive bull. He really is a dandy, but please dont make claims to free range and such, because it is pretty obvious to the general public here that this animal was not free range and the hunt obviously had to be fenced."
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I hope you don't wind up disillusioned when you get to Colorado. This fair chase stuff happens pretty regular in the National Forest, but many private land hunts are deals where there is an agricultural food source that causes the hungry elk to congregate there- particularlyduring cold weather. They are technically wild elk, but they are also living on a ranch that manages the land to maximize the elk habitat - so that elk will stay there in large numbers. And in many cases, the rancher simply waits until the elk are "in"; and then calls the hunter to come down and harvest one.

They have an interesting hunt in New Mexico called the "Governer's Tag". It is a deal where rich people bid on a single elk tag. It usually takes six figures or so to win the bidding war. Then the well-paid guides scour the most elk rich reserve in the state looking for a bull that will meet the client's standards. Once the bull is located, the guide calls in his GPS coordinates and stays out in the woods - maintaining a visual on the bull - until the hunter can be flown in and then ATV'ed in to the location to shoot the bull. After the photos, he is whisked back to his Leer jet and the next time he sees his elk, it is being delivered from the taxidermist. How does that grab you for fair chase?
Not fair chase at all. Very low in my opinion. But, like I said many times, just cause it is legal does not make it fair chase. I would like to see some evidence though of this Govenors tag... Do you have a website or is it cited in the New Mexico game pampletes? I think Ol' GW might need himself an elk hunt.What I am doing is 100% fair chase. I have spent countless hours doing research, reading books, and looking into GMU statistics and averages. I am totally on foot, hunting National Forest Lands, without an ATV and without a 4 wheel drive vehicle capable of making it into the National Forest. I am hunting DIY, without any experience hunting elk before. I am camping in the wilderness for a week at a time, staying in the backcountryand moving with the elk herds. This is whyI get really upset when other people claim fair chase inside of fences or when they just get literally dropped on elk by a guide on a ranch...though both are legal, it just isnt fair chase in my book.
I hope you all understand where I am coming from.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Campo

I usually don't get involved in threads like this for obvious reasons. But, it is you who owes her an apology. Here is a direct quote by you from the other thread where you accused her of lying to everyone on here.

"Now, kudos to you for taking down that massive bull. He really is a dandy, but please dont make claims to free range and such, because it is pretty obvious to the general public here that this animal was not free range and the hunt obviously had to be fenced."
But, did you see the term 'high fence' and if so, where is it?
I didnt think so.
Ok, here is an apology. I am sorry I am a passionate person and stood up for what I believe in. I am also sorry that other people read my posts to say something that they didnt.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Camp don't you have papers to grade? My wife was busy all night last night with papers.

This horse is dead, I hoped after my vacation to come back and talk hunting and help others with hunting.

Talking about fences, camo, carbon clothes, etc etc...does nothing to better our sports, or us as hunters.

Said my peace

Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

But, did you see the term 'high fence' and if so, where is it?
this animal was not free range and the hunt obviously had to be fenced."
There are fences all over this country and none of them keep animals from coming and going. Which seems to bethe case with AnnaMarie'shunt.A 4' high barbed wire fence isn't going to keep any animals from goine where they choose to go.

Just becasue you didn't type the word "high" doesn't mean you were any less disrespectful. And yet you still continue to act like an ass toward her and her elk. [&:]

Quick Reply: Differences between high fence, low fence, and fair chase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.