Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting? >

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM

Default RE: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

I agree. This elk is trophy and worthy of all benfits therein. This fence height thing is a moot point. The 75 grain Muzzy did make it through the elk. It has a 1" cutting diameter. I'm wondering if the 100 grain version, with a 1 3/16" cutting diameter, would have made it through the off side hide. Probably not with this light of an arrow. But the results speak for themselves . . . . . how far did the elk go before tipping over? Thx. Roskoe
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM

Post deleted because this is taking away from the original posters question..please see my thread on this page.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't matter if that bull was in a high-fence,low-fence,free range or even tied up to a tree! The original topic to this thread was if a 45# bow was enough for elk and what was a good set-up. AnnaMarie proved that a it was enough-that even a 40# bow could punch 2 holes in a 1200# animal at 20yds. Nice bull,Anna!!
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The montec is a good choice for him. Otherexcelent heads would include slicktrick standard, Steel force, Magnus stingers, Eastman first cut 90, G5 striker, Wacem, Rocky Mt. ironhead, NAP Razorcaps, Simmons sharks, Wasp sharpshooter.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I agree. This elk is trophy and worthy of all benfits therein. This fence height thing is a moot point. The 75 grain Muzzy did make it through the elk. It has a 1" cutting diameter. I'm wondering if the 100 grain version, with a 1 3/16" cutting diameter, would have made it through the off side hide. Probably not with this light of an arrow. But the results speak for themselves . . . . . how far did the elk go before tipping over? Thx. Roskoe

Sorry if we got off topic there, i just always need to get wrong claims straightened out.

The elk I'd say went about 50ish yards, he had no clue what hit him though. I knew I had made a good shot when the water fall of blood came after the hit. It took him a good while to die, so after I shot I crouched down behind a tree and watched him through binoculars. I agree with the others about the distance thing though, with a light poundage, the most important thing for me was not making a shot over 30 yards. Over that distance I know the arrow would not have had the same effect.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a massive animal. Dont mind what others have said about it being fair chase/non fair chase. Most people hear Texas and automatically assume that it must be high fenced. You know what they say about assuming, it only makes an ass out of you and me.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Anna that is one great bull and you did an awsome job with your bow set up. You worked hard for that elk and earned every bit of it sounds like. Congrats on a job well done.

As for the orginal topic. Obvisouly 45 lbs is enough to take down a elk.Heavy arrows, good sharp cut on impact broadheads, and a well placed arrow is the key to sucess with this outfit.Like others said, I would limit the shot range. Myself I would probably go to 25 yards max.Don't know that I would feel comfortable on a elk at 30 yards.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AnnaMarie

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Sorry if we got off topic there, i just always need to get wrong claims straightened out.

The elk I'd say went about 50ish yards, he had no clue what hit him though. I knew I had made a good shot when the water fall of blood came after the hit. It took him a good while to die, so after I shot I crouched down behind a tree and watched him through binoculars. I agree with the others about the distance thing though, with a light poundage, the most important thing for me was not making a shot over 30 yards. Over that distance I know the arrow would not have had the same effect.
This thread gives me a warm feeling, why? Simple, I am heading to ID in Sept with my wife, who will be toating her 27 inch draw, 47lb CSS Compound spitting out 400 gr arrows front ended by a 100 grain 2 blade stinger. I have had nagging feelings if this would work, logic says yes, but now I 've seen another example of it working.

Nice bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Big Bulls on the suggestions he made. I would lean toward a 2 blade design with the lower draw weight, but as Anna showed if you put the shot in the boiler room it's gonna be lights out.

Anna, congrats on the bull. For the record, 1,400 acres is bigger than any tract of land that I hunt, so I realize that it's not an easy task to track down game on that much land.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I did not realize by posting my picture herethat i would be annoyed with pm's from campo sending me what fair chase and articles about elk poaching, and spark a debate on the topic, this was not my intent.

This was simply to show that small bows can do big damage, and that a hunter is not limited to the type of animals they shoot by a small poundage.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:48 PM

Fair chase isnt with elk that are illegally transported from Montana
Texas Couple Convicted of Poaching in Montana
Just how far will Montana game wardens go to investigate a poaching case? In this
particular case, the answer is over 1,500 miles.
Two FWP game wardens from southwest Montana went to the Lone Star State to pursue a
couple suspected of hunting elk and deer without valid licenses on a private ranch near
Twin Bridges over at least six years.
William "Doug" Hudson was recently convicted of hunting deer and elk without valid
licenses, transfer of licenses, over-limit of elk, and unlawful possession and transportation
of big game animals. Faye Hudson was convicted of hunting white-tailed deer without
valid licenses and waste of game.
Based on a call to Montana's poaching hotline, TIP-MONT, game warden Shane Brozovich
investigated and found that William Hudson of Early, Texas, had been coming to Montana
to hunt since 1982, but had not purchased any licenses since 2000. His wife, Faye Hudson,
had hunted with him during the 2005 and 2006 seasons without licenses.
"The call to TIP-MONT was a critical piece that enabled me to start this investigation,"
said Brozovich. "We know this type of illegal activity is taking place here and we're
working on putting an end to it."
As the investigation unfolded, Brozovich learned that the couple was illegally using the
resident hunting licenses of the former ranch owner, Sylvester Seidensticker, who still
resided on the ranch. Seidensticker was charged with transferring his hunting licenses to
William and Faye Hudson.
Brozovich and Regional Investigator Chad Murphy traveled to Texas in January and
assisted a Texas Parks and Wildlife warden in executing a search warrant at t he Hudson
residence. The wardens interviewed the couple and gathered evidence at the residence and
at a nearby warehouse.
The wardens confiscated a trophy 6x6 bull elk rack, 11 non-trophy bull elk racks, 13 mule
deer and white-tailed buck deer racks, and one big horn sheep ram head, which William
Hudson found while hunting in Montana.
While in Texas, the Montana game wardens issued citations and collected $22,530 in bond
for fines and restitution. The restitution for the trophy bull elk alone cost them $8,000.
In addition to the fines and restitution, the couple also lost their hunting privileges in
Montana and 23 other states that are part of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
William Hudson lost his privileges for 10 years and Faye Hudson lost hers for 4 years.
"Even though William Hudson got away with this for numerous years, the case is a great
example of how committed FWP is to catching poachers," said Murphy. "We will go to
great lengths to protect the wildlife resources of the state."

Quick Reply: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.