Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting? >

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Annamarie, the drule about wrecked my laptop. Wow, what a bull!!
envy, envy.

But, like she said shot placement like any animal is KEY!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd go with a Magnus Stinger 4-blade. They're much sharper than the Montecs and much easier to sharpen as well. I definitely wouldn't advise the mech's and do your best to keep his shots under 30 yards. Good luck!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: AnnaMarie

I shot this 1200 lb. Elk with my 40 lb.BowTech Equalizer at just about 20 yards. Easton 500 Carbon Excel arrow, wght: 7.3, and a 75 grain Muzzy broadhead. All it took was one arrow (double-lunged him). Shot placement is really the MOST important.

That is one nice bull...but I gotta ask. Was it fair chase or fenced?
Stick with a cut on contact head. I am going to be using Slick Tricks this year for elk.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Thanks for the input. Are the majority of you of the opinion that the Muzzy will penetrate (on elk) as well as the G5 Montec? I personally have a lot of confidence in the Muzzy,but will be trying the Montec this season. They just fly better out of my bow. But I also understood that the Muzzy is not really a COC head, and that the Montec is a better penetrator - particularly in a low poundage bow.

Anna Marie: Did you get a pass though on that 1200 pound elk shot with the 75 grain Muzzy? I'm looking at the charts . . . your total arrow weight appears to be around 325 grains. Thx. Roskoe

Not a complete pass through. Thebroadhead was sicking out about a 1/2inch on the other side. When he was gutted the arrow was broken in 3 pieces but the damage done with that little thing was amazing. It is my true opinion that anything can be killed, no matter the poundage, if the shot is right. I have to practice a lot on accuracy becuase my shoulder problems and draw length limit me to a lighter poundage and less oomph in my bow.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Yeah it's a nice elk but it does look pretty big to be fair chase bull [>:]
If it was fair chase WHOOHO MAN!!!!thats a freikin whoppppppppper

okay I gotta tell ya something about montecs they ''WHISTLE'' like a dog that got stung by a bald face hornet made me gut shoot a yote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cut on contact head and quality shot placement at 45 lbs on elk is key. Stay away from bone with that set up. I've seen certain broadheads curl on a ribbone of an elk.

Anna, Big bull you killed there in the velvet, obviously a summer hunt? Bulls here shed around mid August? I'm curious as to what state a person can hunt bulls that early?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Campo

Stick with a cut on contact head. I am going to be using Slick Tricks this year for elk.
This bull was taken in Texas on 1400 acres of free range. He had been shot at and missed by two rifle hunters previously. I had seen him while hunting for axis does, and the man informed me there were a nice group of elk that stayed around the area. I went back four times before I got a shot on him. He is considered an exotic in Texas but he was definitely not an easy hunt by far. He was very hard to get in range.

Sadly this place is now highfenced , beacause it was bought by a business man. It was one of my favorite places to hunt, because it had a nice herd of axis and lots of whitetails. They run all kinds of exotic ram and antelope hunts out of it now. Atleast I get to say I got one of the last exotic/free rangin elk out there.

It was shot in august, since they are not originally from Texas, they are considered exotics there. I only know of a few places though in Texas with free range elk. alot are highfenced.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 AM

This bull was taken in Texas on 1400 acres of free range. He had been shot at and missed by two rifle hunters previously. I had seen him while hunting for axis does, and the man informed me there were a nice group of elk that stayed around the area. I went back four times before I got a shot on him. He is considered an exotic in Texas but he was definitely not an easy hunt by far. He was very hard to get in range.

Sadly this place is now highfenced , beacause it was bought by a business man. It was one of my favorite places to hunt, because it had a nice herd of axis and lots of whitetails. They run all kinds of exotic ram and antelope hunts out of it now. Atleast I get to say I got one of the last exotic/free rangin elk out there.

It was shot in august, since they are not originally from Texas, they are considered exotics there. I only know of a few places though in Texas with free range elk. alot are highfenced.
So, how was the animal free range when it was only on 1400 acres? As far as I know, there is NO WILD population of Elk in Texas. In the Complete Book of Elk Hunting written by Sam Curtis, and endorsed by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, there is no mention of ANY wild population of elk in Texas. Specifically, if you reference page 13, you will see that none of the subspecies fall in the state of Texas. Now, if this is the case, then the hunt must have been fenced, because I highly doubt Texas is going to let people just ship in elk and set them loose, particularly with CWD being such an issue now. Now, kudos to you for taking down that massive bull. He really is a dandy, but please dont make claims to free range and such, because it is pretty obvious to the general public here that this animal was not free range and the hunt obviously had to be fenced. I am sorry to hijack thisthread, but I think this issue needs to be addressedso that the public here is aware. Mods, if this postis out of line, please let me know and I will repost it under a different thread.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:54 AM

So, how was the animal free range when it was only on 1400 acres? As far as I know, there is NO WILD population of Elk in Texas. In the Complete Book of Elk Hunting written by Sam Curtis, and endorsed by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, there is no mention of ANY wild population of elk in Texas. Specifically, if you reference page 13, you will see that none of the subspecies fall in the state of Texas. Now, if this is the case, then the hunt must have been fenced, because I highly doubt Texas is going to let people just ship in elk and set them loose, particularly with CWD being such an issue now. Now, kudos to you for taking down that massive bull. He really is a dandy, but please dont make claims to free range and such, because it is pretty obvious to the general public here that this animal was not free range and the hunt obviously had to be fenced. I am sorry to hijack thisthread, but I think this issue needs to be addressedso that the public here is aware. Mods, if this postis out of line, please let me know and I will repost it under a different thread.

1400 acres were LOW FENCED. NOT HIGH FENCED. Also, My family had 80 acres of FREE RANGE, NOT HIGHFENCE, and we had a beautiful herd of about 50 axis that were regular visitors. Axis are not natives of Texas just as elk are not. When I would sit on my stand on our 80 acres I saw an Aoudad, and 3 Blackbuck, and countless Axis. There are free ranging exotics all over texas, how did they get to be free range?? I don't doubt they escaped from highfenced private ranches, and reproduced along the way. Another point, I regularly hunt in Comfort, Texas on a FREE RANGE place. The man has an abundance of sika's, whom are not natives, and are considered exotic. The man never bought these, but after a flood way back he had all kinds of animals make a new home out of his land. Escaped animals from private ranches, probably so, but they are not confined to a certain area and repopulated themselves. Please don't make claims about my hunt being highfenced when you do not know and were not there. I understand where you are coming from, and if it is not your opinion of a fair chase than so be it, you are entitled to your own opinion. I was there though, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a waltz up to the animal and stick him thing. These elk had the opportuinty to go elsewhee if they pleased, there was NO HIGHFENCE.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter if that bull was in a high-fence,low-fence,free range or even tied up to a tree! The original topic to this thread was if a 45# bow was enough for elk and what was a good set-up. AnnaMarie proved that a it was enough-that even a 40# bow could punch 2 holes in a 1200# animal at 20yds. Nice bull,Anna!!

Quick Reply: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.