Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon phase

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default Moon phase

Just visited the Naval Observatory site. I hope I understand it correctly. If so the moon phase toward my annual chosen vacation time for rut hunting should be killer!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Moon phase

Coug, what have you noticed about hunting on a full moon, speaking of moon phase?? I hear most folks say they don't like hunting a full moon, but myself, I see MORE deer during that phase......What's that all about I wonder???
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

either full moon or no moon are the best ive noticed
Old 03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like cooler weather an 4 or 5 days before full moon an 4 or 5 days after.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Coug, what have you noticed about hunting on a full moon, speaking of moon phase?? I hear most folks say they don't like hunting a full moon, but myself, I see MORE deer during that phase......What's that all about I wonder???
How important or how much of a factor it(full moon) is during the pre-rut or rut.............I am not really sure to be honest but..........in the midwestern agricultural areas, I do believe that deer will tend to move more at night with a full moon phase, at least in pressured areas. It makes sense to me that deer would feed more at night under a full moon and would begin to come out to feed later in the evening and return to bedding areas earlier in the morning. Of course this begs the question.....what if there are days/nights of heavy cloud cover and how does that affect or change any habits or tendacies deer might have with moon phases?

In my instance, I seem to see more deer under new moon, first quarter and late quarter phases. I sure wish I had kept a log of every time I hunted from the time I first started deer hunting. In the rut I don't really thinks it matters much with a full moon, but I'd still prefer to hunt with a non-full moon phase.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I think it would be interesting to hear from some who have read books or articles on the subject of hunting the moon phases.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

full moon makes it harder to hunt because the deer tend to stay active more and harder to pattern. It manafests itself in things like getting busted more walking to your stand and getting stuck in the stand late with deer all around. I truly believe in moon phases. Pre rut is more predictable. Basically, in its simplest form, deer get up to eat twice a day; when the moon is straight overhead or underfoot(opposite side of the earth). The get up to "stretch andpee" when the moon is atthe sides of the earth.
Start your own mental list. The next evening/morning to or from work you a lot of deer activity, simply look up. I bet a dollar that the moon is high in the sky. Keep track of it..... you'll be convinced.
The rut is a huge monkey wrench in the theory because the mating instinct overrides everything. BUT,(this is the cool part) if you hunt rut days when the major is say, 7:15 amand the minor is 5:42 pm; pack a lunch and hunt all darn day. Because if your major and minor occur during daylight hours the does will be getting up to eat in prime shooting hours. And as you know when the girls are out the boys aren't far behind. I always, always seek these days for my vacation time.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 AM

Good reply, Matt! I personally am not able to tell the difference in activity levels, but our critters area bunch less patternable out in the wilderness as opposed to yourmidwest farmland whitetailhunting. My theory is that anything that you believe in strong enough to keep you out in the field from dawn to dusk is a good thing.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta love the naval observatory site, I never go in the woods w/o checking it. Not only can it tell you when to hunt, but you can better guess where to hunt...

Full moons in my opinion are easier to hunt cause the deer move between 10am-2pm
Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 AM

picked up Jeff Murray's book on moon phase and whitetail hunting. I began to use moon phase as a factor in my hunting last year. Jeff's book does an excellent job on expanding the info I will use next year. Does anyone else use this factor in their hunts. Any tips or suggestions that work for you? Anyone use the moon phase wheel?

Quick Reply: Moon phase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.