Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting >

Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Old 03-16-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

So, as abunch of you know, I am moving to Colorado in July for Elk and Muley hunting...wait, I mean new job, that right, I am moving for a new job!
Anyway, I have been working a lot with my back tension Tru Ball Ultra Xtreme, and have began to have some doubts about using it in that environment. Now, I shoot therelease awesome, but I am beginning to wonder how well I will shoot it at, say, 11,000 feet after running up a mountainside. I also worry about having to hold my draw for a minute plus and then having to inititate my shot through back tension. Just seems (to me)that the back tension releaseis not made for those who need to hold their draw for a long period of time. Again, I hope that practice will make perfect...so with that said, I am going to give it a shot, but Ill have a finger trigger release as backup. Any bowhunters here hunt elk with a BT release?
Also...I dont have a handgun permit, and was told that it is a little iffy to hunt in Colorado without a handgun. How many archers here sport a sidearm when bowhunting for the big 'ol buglers?
I think this belongs in this forum, cause it has to deal with archery. If I am wrong mods..sorry, you can move it to wherever.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Default RE: Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Although there are lots of folks who use back tension for 3D shoots, I only know one who uses back tension for hunting. And he admits it'snot the best deal for quicker shots. I tried one and, although it shot well, went back to the trigger type. Same thing with the Trophy Taker fall away rest. Great for 3D. Went back to the whisker biscuit for hunting.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll have to decide for yourself on the release, BUT it's illigal to carry a side arm during archery only season!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler,

It is Not Illegal to carry a side arm during any season in Colorado. The weapon must be open and visible (not concealed). Do you need it? Not in my opinion...it is just extra weight.

Campo,

I have several friends that hunt with BT releases. I do not. I think practice is the key. But, it utimately comes down to which release you have the most confidenceshooting. You do not need a side arm...a good radio and gps would be a better choice for the weight.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Ok, so let me get this straight, it is NOT illegal to carry a side arm during Archery Elk?
Anyone else care to chime in on the subject?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is correct. Drop a dime 303-297-1192 (CDOW). They will give you that exact same answer.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Campo,
I have only gotten to hunt elk in CO 6 or 7 times, but I have never had any need for a side arm. I did see a black bear fairly close up one time, but he wanted nothing to do with me. I have never seen a mountain lion, but one of the cows I shot had scars down her back from what I assumed to be a mountain lion. At any rate, I agree with huck, it is just a lot of weight, and for a flatlander like myself, it isn't worth it.
If you are worried about people, then I would suggest a featherweight revovler.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the releaseI would use a trigger style for hunting. They are much easier and quicker to use in a huntingsituation. Especially at altitude and out of breath.

IMHO a side arm is well worth it. On three seaperate occasions in about 5 or 6 years of each otherwe have had bear encounters at or near camp.

One tore up a bunch of our camp and ate a bunch of food stuff. We had pre packed in some things like the wall tent, canned goods, lighter fluid, etc... and while were gone during the week a very large bear (judging from the size of the tooth punctures in the cans) decided to help himself to our stuff. I am glad we weren't there.

Another one skirted the edge of the meadow that we camp on, growling the entire time.

Another one (a small bear this time) came within 30 yards of my father one morning while he was sitting against his favorite tree ambushing the elk as they come up the mountain. Thankfully it was small and it simply ran off.

This is enough for me to carry a side arm whenI am bow hunting elk.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is Not Illegal to carry a side arm during any season in Colorado. The weapon must be open and visible (not concealed)
I stand corrected! huck is correct![8D]

Too much weight to carry up and down a mountain though, IMO! Black bear just as soon run from ya as to run at ya! Although a good friend of mine did shoot a mountian lion that was stalking him several years ago. He shot it and then reported the incident to the DOW. He never got fined and laterbought the lion back when the DOW had an auction!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I always carry a sidearm while bowhunting.Reason being I have had numerous bears respond real quick like to the sound of cow talk that I was making. If you know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Some of my worries about ARCHERY Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.