Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions? >

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

I never have but I want to. I think its fair to hut with dogs since thats the only way to harvest one in most areas. Think about all the deer that mnt. lion must take to survive. I talked with some guys who hunt bears with hounds. They said its a rush.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not true at all Dan. On my second day of hunting (another 12 hour ordeal), we had a lion up a tree three different times. Each time we approached, the lion lept from the top to the ground and scurried off. The chase was on once again. We never caught that lion...he flew away. We simply ran out of day light. We left blankets out for the dogs and luckily the houndsman collected all of them the next morning. I returned the following weekend for more of the same.

For comparision purposes, hunting lions without dogs is like shooting skeet/trap with a bb gun. So, have you ever shot trap with a shotgun? Does the use of that tool seem unfair? Go ahead and try a bb gun. Sure, you'll get one every now and then, but your chances are slim. As a conservation minded individual, you have to admit that lions, like all wildlife, need to be managed. The dogs are a tool to this end. Doing it without them is nearly impossible. Not doing it at all is a wreck waiting to happen (California)

I do understand your feelings though. There is nothingbeautifulwhen it comes to killing animals. It's bloody/voilent and viewers discretion is advised. It is also necessary, as you know, to maintain healthy populations. For me, I elect to be pro active in this arena.

By the way, keep an eye on the newspapers. It's that time of year when young two year old lions get chased away by momma.These 65-85 pounds catsusually end up in neighborhoods killing dogs and cats...they attack children and adults when hungry enough. The articles will be in the papers within the next few months...just watch.

Mightymite, you are 100% correct in your assessment. How many shows do youthink they would sell ifproducers presented five days of chase and nothing killed in the end?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Nope, not in California...against the law...but soon to be changed, you'll see, sooner than later more mt lions attacks will change the policy...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never done it, but i certainly will one day. From what i understand your chances of success arent that high even if you use dogs. I hear you need snow to find them and then the stars still have to be aligned. One day i will find out for sure. Man a mountain lion would look great on the wall!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently read an article in Sporting Classics Magazine. It gave full description of a mountain lion hunt with dogs. They stressed if you were interrested in a lion hunt, to find one where dogs were used. Apparantly calling lionssometimes, butRARELEYworks. Tracking can be done in the snow, but you have to find an absolute fresh track, and even that rarely works. The lions move so rapidly through their terrain, that when you do think you cut a fresh track, the lion could be miles away. Meanwhile your moving very slowly, never to catch up. This is the reason why dogs are needed. With the dogs it's said that it's still a very demanding andexhausting hunt...............On another note, I spent my chidhood yearsrabbit hunting with my two prized beagles, Bonnie & Clyde. My grandfather schooled me on how to work those dogs. That's some of the best hunting memories I've ever had, and the most fun. Tradition plays a huge role in dog hunting.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Not true at all Dan. On my second day of hunting (another 12 hour ordeal), we had a lion up a tree three different times. Each time we approached, the lion lept from the top to the ground and scurried off. The chase was on once again. We never caught that lion...he flew away. We simply ran out of day light. We left blankets out for the dogs and luckily the houndsman collected all of them the next morning. I returned the following weekend for more of the same.

For comparision purposes, hunting lions without dogs is like shooting skeet/trap with a bb gun. So, have you ever shot trap with a shotgun? Does the use of that tool seem unfair? Go ahead and try a bb gun. Sure, you'll get one every now and then, but your chances are slim. As a conservation minded individual, you have to admit that lions, like all wildlife, need to be managed. The dogs are a tool to this end. Doing it without them is nearly impossible. Not doing it at all is a wreck waiting to happen (California)

I do understand your feelings though. There is nothingbeautifulwhen it comes to killing animals. It's bloody/voilent and viewers discretion is advised. It is also necessary, as you know, to maintain healthy populations. For me, I elect to be pro active in this arena.

By the way, keep an eye on the newspapers. It's that time of year when young two year old lions get chased away by momma.These 65-85 pounds catsusually end up in neighborhoods killing dogs and cats...they attack children and adults when hungry enough. The articles will be in the papers within the next few months...just watch.

Mightymite, you are 100% correct in your assessment. How many shows do youthink they would sell ifproducers presented five days of chase and nothing killed in the end?
I guess its something I'll have to try for myself then to really understand. I watched the same Primos video MO was talking about, and all they showed was the cat being cornered on a cliff and then the kill shot. Due to my limited experience with that type of hunting, I assumed it was allways like that. Thats what I get for assuming!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

It would be an honor toassist you inany direction I can. We have cougar in Colorado out the ying yang. Some of our GMUs have well over thirty cats/season quotas. Those quotas are rarely filled. "Good" snow is critical. When it's all over, we'll forgive you for all the cursing!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm also having a hard time with this as well.
Not saying people shouldn't ,as long as their ok with it.
Just not for me
Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 PM

I too was wondering to myself how I would feel in using dogs on this type of hunt. But as another member said, you use dogs for birds & fowl & rabbits & coons as well. The lion could always leap out of the tree and either run the other way or tear the heck out of a couple of dogs.

I dunno, I still think it'd be reallycool to hunt em. A guy at work asked me why I'd hunt them, I told him I'd eat it if I killed it but that yes, it would most likely be for the sport/trophy aspect and notprimarily for food.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have beensitting herestruggling with my thoughts on shooting a mountain lion out of a tree. I see the challenge of the chase, but I do not think I would be willing to shoot the lion out of the tree, because he ison the end of his wits, an does not know what to do next. I think I would have too much respect for the lion after the chase. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.