HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Getting really annoyed with Pro Shops run by "Pros" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/184397-getting-really-annoyed-pro-shops-run-pros.html)

Campo 03-13-2007 07:58 AM

Getting really annoyed with Pro Shops run by "Pros"

So, here is a story, of a shop located in E. Greenbush, NY.
It is a shop run by a world class shooter, who has won many awards, and is regarded as being an excellent shooter. I brought a dozen GT XT Hunters there late last fall to get reflectched. I was told it is a pain to strip fletchings off of carbon arrows that are not wrapped, but was assured by the shop owner that it wouldnt be a problem. I asked for blazers and wraps on the reflectched arrows
I specifically asked, "So, there wont be any cuts into the carbon. Im really worried about that"
Response from Pro Owner, "If there is, we will let you know and gladly replace the arrows."
I picked up the arrows a week later and paid.
"Any problems withrefletching?"I asked
"Not a one. They came off perfect."
Shortly thereafter, I started shooting CE Maximas, and I used the GT's not so often.
Last night, I went to refletch the GT's, and was peeling off the wraps. Low and behold, there were gouges from the razor they used to take off the fletching all over the shafts. Some areas the cut was at least a 1/16th deep, and some even looked like they might have exposed the hollow core of the shaft. I looked at every arrow, and every arrow was the same.
Flaming mad I was, mainly for trusting this supposed pro. Many of you probably know who I am talking about. This is the third shady deal this guy has pulled on me, and I have had enough. I stopped going there a long time ago, but still, it just goes to show the following.
Just cause a "pro" is a good shooter does not mean they are...
1. Honest
2. Know anything about bow shop tech work
3.Not just another idiot looking to score a cheap buck
4. End all of the archery tech world.

Had to vent guys...but I think way too many archery techs are dishonest and uncaring individuals that done give a hoot about their customers.

Matt / PA 03-13-2007 08:03 AM

RE: Getting really annoyed with Pro Shops run by "Pros"

Why not just take them back, explain the situation and take him up on his offer for a set of new Gold tips since they were messed up.........Is it possiblethat maybe the "Pro" trusted a shop tech to do it right and maybe doesn't know they were messed up?

Just seems odd when you have a solution of an offer of replacement arrows for damage and you are bringing it here?

Matt/TN 03-13-2007 08:06 AM

reasons like thats is why im getting into doing my own

archer58 03-13-2007 08:18 AM

I've been doing my own work for a long time for similar reasons.
I'm sure there are shops out there that have knowledgable and skilled people , I just don't have any here.

BTW, I use Goat Tuff glue debonder to remove glue residue andremnants of fletchingwhen I refletch, and it saves the possibility of nicks in the carbon. Give it a try. It really wors well for me.

OHbowhntr 03-13-2007 08:19 AM

I agree w/ Matt /PA, take them back into him, and tell him you want new arrows for the ones his guy destroyed. Fortunately, you didn't have one "BLOW" up on you. Then he'd really have an issue to deal with. Also your complaining may prevent some other unsuspecting customer from having just this sort of thing happen. That alone is reason enough to go back to the shop and ask that it be "Made Right."

Campo 03-13-2007 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Why not just take them back, explain the situation and take him up on his offer for a set of new Gold tips since they were messed up.........Is it possiblethat maybe the "Pro" trusted a shop tech to do it right and maybe doesn't know they were messed up?

Just seems odd when you have a solution of an offer of replacement arrows for damage and you are bringing it here?
Someone confronted him once about some shotty work he did on their bow. The owner, well call him JD, almost got into a physical fight with the customer who called him out. The owner actually jumped OVER the counter and chased the guy to his car when the guy said something nasty on the way out. I actually am scared to bring it up to him. I am also really crappy at verbal confrontations, typically I just go off (haha..many of you know this) and lose my temper...character flaw.
Anyway, that is why I didnt bring them back to him to complain..yet.

Campo 03-13-2007 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: archer58

I've been doing my own work for a long time for similar reasons.
I'm sure there are shops out there that have knowledgable and skilled people , I just don't have any here.

BTW, I use Goat Tuff glue debonder to remove glue residue andremnants of fletchingwhen I refletch, and it saves the possibility of nicks in the carbon. Give it a try. It really wors well for me.
Does it work on all glues? I tried it the other day and it would not BUDGE the glue on my fletching..I let it soak in real nice too!

HuntingEd 03-13-2007 08:50 AM

Hey, if he attacks you, you've got a great case for a law suit....

Also, if your not being a real jerk about it i doubt he'll "attack" you.

YooperMike 03-13-2007 08:53 AM

More than likely the shop-hand guy did the refletching, not the owner. Either way, you need to take it up with him, it is very dishonest, especially to cover itup with the wraps. I've stripped alot of arrows, and never knicked one that bad, but I like use a Norway Zip-Strip. Pretty tough to gouge an arrow with one of these. I started doing my own and it is a good thing to know how to do, especially since you aren't at the mercy of the shop to do them. Bring it up to the guy in a civil manner,and see what the results are.

uncballers45 03-13-2007 08:54 AM

yea i know who you are talking about campo ive been there a couple of times myself. i never really liked him. now i know i wont go there again.