Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent drag

Old 03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent drag

I've used the ones that you attach to your boot with a elastic piece but I just don't think that walking where the deer will be walking directly is a good idea. I was watching some show and the guy used a 4' stick and attached a rag to it and dragged it on the trail while he walkedto the side of it. Seemed like a better idea IMO.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the hocks off of a rutting buck or doe an put it on a limb about 20 yards in front of me.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Use a longer string and hook it to a belt loop on your pants
Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 AM

that's exactly how I've been tying mine, but I was using twine and I kept losing them. Also I was using a key wick instead of cloth. I think the cloth would probably be better as long as you washed it in baking soda or other scent killing product first.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Or you could use and NEW unscented UNUSED tampon, Hold scent very well. I would have to believe that they are a little more durable.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I have never actually made a scent trail. What I like to do is take some cotton and soak it with Tinks69. Then I stick it in a film canister, put the lid on, and carry it to my hunting location. Thenset it on theground wherever I want the deer tostop for a shot. All you have to do is open the lid, and let the wind take the scent. I have had pretty effective results doing this and its fast and easy.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Here in Mexico we use chickens. If you got them trained as for it's dinner time works best. We tie the scent drag to their feet and release the chicken about 200 yrds from the stand.We then back track and head into our stand from behind. After about 30 minutes in the stand we use a whistle to call the chicken to our stand. This eliminates all human scent to our stand from the drag. The chicken does not spook the deer and we just throw corn on the ground to keep the chicken close by. Works perfect allmost every time. Sometimes the chicken never makes it to us and our predators get a free meal. But this works like 9 out of 10 times though.

Pedro
Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 AM

you gotta be full of s***
Old 03-11-2007, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: TeamWhitetail365

If your spot is good you souldn't need them
Sorry.....WRONG.

I often hunt public land where I don't have the ability to put up multiple stands. If I decide to hunt an afternoon and I know the wind is wrong, I will drag a scent up to my stand. This way the deer will be more focused on the scent then my scent. I have had success in the past. A bit of Tinks 69 on a felt pad and some curtain chord tied to the back of my belt.

Heck, if your skills are good enough, you don't even need a bow, just a knife! j/k buddy.

Tip, Start at least 150 yds out. Put a small bit on the pad, then at 100 yds, double the amount of scent. This way as the deer follows the scent, it will get stronger and he will become more "involved" in the pursuit.