Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you control the mental game? >

How do you control the mental game?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you control the mental game?

Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Default RE: How do you control the mental game?

in my opinion taking deep breathes may help, but other than that you just ride the nerve coaster. Andits one of the best feelings in the world IMO
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I zone everything out around me and picture the arrow going where my pin is the just squeeze the trigger
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once i see the deer, i quickly shut my eyes if its a ways off and tell my self to calm down. A couple seconds later i am completely relaxed and focused in on what needs to be done. I am normally cool calm and collected up until i see the arrow hit the mark. Thats when i start shaking like a leaf and have to sit down!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: antlerchaser

A few helpful things to think about -

*Practice
*visualize the shot and the deers position
*Practicemore
* Visualize your drawing sequence
* Practice more
*make absolutely sure your equipment is never faulty
*Practice from elevations that you plan on hunting from and do not vary much from that height if you can help it
*practice some more
*visualize where the arrow will hit and where it will exit
*Practice some more
*Shoot often with a few of your broadheads used just for this purpose

by doing these thingsit will instill confidence in your ability to make the shot even if youbecome "unglued" . Your built up confidence will keep the fever channeled positively intead of negatively.
I like it. Visualization is a very powerful, underated tool.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KS227

If buck fever ever goes away, shoot me. I love my wife and I love my kids, but that moment that you feel it hit......it is my drug and I am a hopeless junkie
As far as control, Try what WashingtonHunter said. Develop a simple repitition. There is comfort and control in repitition.
EXACTLY! Couldn't have put it any better myself.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it goes back to the old addage - "Fail to plan, plan to fail".

In any situation that causes stress or any other high level of emotion, you need to have planned for it. Once you're there, you just remind yourself "I've planned for this moment. I am in control. All I have to do is follow the plan" And also, I think it helps to take a short moment to remind yourself that you're in that situation because you want to put yourself in it, and also remind yourself that you're enjoying yourself.

Think about how emotional you'd be if you were going to starve to death if you missed...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to making the shot I do fine. I guess all of the practice pays off and I just sortof go on autopilot. Sometimes I barely remember aiming and taking the shot. But before the shot presents itself I can be a mess, even with does. If I have deer around me my knees start to shake and I forget to breathe. The biggest buck I have taken (165 gross) came walking up a creek bed and bedded down 30 yards from me. I neve had a chance to stand up and a limb blocked any shot. He laid there for an hour. All I could think of is I hope I don't have to pee. Every time he would move his head and show off all 11 points my whole body would start shaking. Thenhe got up and started walking my direction nibbling here and there. He turned and passed by my left side (I am right handed so this was perfect) at 15 yards. I drew while still sitting and put the arrow right behind his shoulder and he went about 75 yards.

So to answer your question, I don't really know how I handle it but at the time of the shot I don't usually think about it I just do it. Maybe it is from years of experiance and practice. Plus I have killed a lot of deer with my bow. One more thing, I practice a lot in my back yard at 3D targets so I am very confident in my ability to make a good shot and I think that helps a lot too. Confidence can make a big difference.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like Jim...

Autopilot. I dont think I just aim and focus on the killzone.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm like Jim...

Autopilot. I dont think I just aim and focus on the killzone.
It's because you've put yourself in that situation a million times. You've put yourself "in the arena". Like with my friend.....you're REACTING. If you do something right enough times......you'll instill it into your brain.

You've practiced the jump shot a million times (or the proper techniques in bow hunting). When the shot arrives.......it's "auto pilot".

GREAT discussion, guys......
Old 03-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whether I am target shooting,3D, or hunting Ialways keep a little sticker on the inside of my upper limb with these letters on it.

S-D-A-A-R-F
B-H

which means:

Stance Draw Anchor Aim Release Follow-Through
Burn a Hole

The "Burn a Hole" part is in regards to picking an exact spot/speck and not shooting at the whole target (thisdefinitely appliesto hunting for me and helps me remember to not get distracted by circumstances and focus on an exact tuft of hair or spot to put my arrow through). As far as the "buck fever aspect" breathing helps me a lot and I just keepsaying (to myself of course)"sit still, be quiet" until the time comes to make my move. I find the sticker to be a great reminder to focus.

Quick Reply: How do you control the mental game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.