Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you control the mental game? >

How do you control the mental game?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you control the mental game?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Default RE: How do you control the mental game?

A few helpful things to think about -

*Practice
*visualize the shot and the deers position
*Practicemore
* Visualize your drawing sequence
* Practice more
*make absolutely sure your equipment is never faulty
*Practice from elevations that you plan on hunting from and do not vary much from that height if you can help it
*practice some more
*visualize where the arrow will hit and where it will exit
*Practice some more
*Shoot often with a few of your broadheads used just for this purpose

by doing these thingsit will instill confidence in your ability to make the shot even if youbecome "unglued" . Your built up confidence will keep the fever channeled positively intead of negatively.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats where blind bailing comes in. You should have yourself already programmed. The ONLY thing that you should be doing is aiming. Through the years I have put myself in high pressure situations by shooting in front of large crowds and shootoffs at tournaments. This has helped temper the nerves while shooting.... I don't get nervous anymore until after the arrows finds its mark....

If you are into the mental game, check out Lanny Bassram (spelling?) he has some really good tips..
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Spike

Focus on point of impact...make it small be it a piece of hair on an animal or arrow holes in the 12 ring of a 3-D target just don't take your eye off the spot until the arrow hits. Know your yardage! if you second geuss yourself you won't be confident and fail to execute the shot correctly.
Having confidence will let you focus and tune out the mental list because it will all be getting done as you are focusing on the spot!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pigiron

You don't and you can't. I do notice though, if a good shooter, slammer etc., pops up out of no-where, presents himself immediately within range, relatively quickly...I can pull off the shotreal smooth,without having to think about it too much. These are always my best shots........On the other hand when a large buck gets within eyesight, slightly out of range, and makes you watch him for 15 min., it's enough to give a man a coronary. You know, the one that will stare in your direction, not allowing you even blink your eyes, then slowly walking within range (meanwhile your staring at a set of antlers that only have been seen in your dreams...until now). By the time he gets to you, your heart isbeating so hard that it'smoving simultaniously with your lighted pin![&o].[:'(]..........Ithink everyone has a little buck fever in them.
This is exactly how I feel and I'm glad you can relate to it.
I have had some nice bucks come in on me fast, its like clock work, kinda automatic,but if a shooter works towardsme along with some other deer and you got to watch all of them at the same time over some time I get to the point of hyperventilateling as a trophy is comein in, and I swear they can hear my heart beat and breath, if not, maybe my knees knocking the tree rattling the tree limbs above me. This is true.Been there and done it and I hope it never stops.

Bobby

Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Ok, when I shoot, my head is going in ....Oh, I don't know....15 different places at once. I set my stance, stare at the target, draw, anchor, then it all breaks loose. My brain tells me all kinds of things.......Don't forget to use your back, keep your arm straight, relax, relax, relax, oh yeah, don't forget to breath....Then I pretty much fall apart...

So my question for you is this. How do you control the mental aspect of your shooting?
Once you get to this point (bold), your head should be only talking and thinking about AIMING. This is what back tension and the surprise release is all about. Your head should sound like this..... OK there's my pin.... up a little....... a little more to the left..... hold it ...... hold it ....WOW!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:55 AM

Drugs and alcoholhelp!!!

I've never been able to control the excitement and the heart pounding.
I just tell myself i have to make the shot, take a few DEEP DEEP breaths, and then I seem to go into auto pilot.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a friend who played college basketball.....and at one time was a 1 or 2 hcp golfer. When his game went to hell.....he called me and we went to look at his swing. It's fine. I ask him what he's thinking about.....and he starts THE LIST. Whoaaa! I asked him what he thought of when soemone passed him the ball. He said NOTHING. He said he'd done his mental preparatory work before that happened (decided how far he was from the basket.....squared his body...or was in the act of doing so..). He said ALL he thought about.....was distance and then he let it go. He'd practiced jump shots enough. The act, itself, was automatic. I asked him why he didn't approach golf the same way. Heck...there's not even a defender in your face!

I shot 2 rounds at our indoor 3D range last night. For the way the course is set up....I thought I shot well (20 targets.....to 43 yds. Some have 12 rings....some don't). I shot 197 and 198....thinking about nothing but yardage.We shoot through pockets in limbs....quartering away animals.....SMALL animals at longer distances.

I think it was Tom Watson that said that ALL he could ask for is to be IN THE ARENA. The more times I put myself into situations.....the better I get at handling myself. I still get excited when I see a good deer......but it's different than the first time. It's different than the first time I shot 3D. I hope I'm getting better at all of this.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 AM

I have the draw, anchor and pull through the shot down pat. It's the leg shaking that I can't control. My routine seems to work well, but the excitement is too much to totally control. I used to bowl in leagues and found out that when I was talking to someone about hunting or something unrelated to bowling I bowled really well, because I wasn't thinking about it,but when I sat down and disected what I was doing wrong it all went wrong. I may try the singing thing.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong KS, I live for the fever! If we all didn't get buck fever, there wouldn't be any one in the woods. ..........By the way.......If I'd a seen that great mohogany you have in your avatar, under one of of my stands, they'd have to airlift me to Cooper Medical Center!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

My mind goes blank, years of listening to my wife talk has conditioned me to do this perfectly

Quick Reply: How do you control the mental game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.