Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have your standards changed? >

Have your standards changed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have your standards changed?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Have your standards changed?

Last year....in my first full year of bowhunting....I had standards I set for myself (as to what I would take in the field). I still maintain I won't shoot a buck under 2.5yrs........but my doe standards are going to be different. This coming year.....I'm shooting EVERY doe that doesn't have a spotted fawn with it (based on the doe numbers where I hunt). Last year.....every doe with ANY fawn got a pass.....and many, MANY does got passes if it was during the rut.

Bucks.....no less than 2.5 (no change).....but does.......beware.

Do your "standards" change? And, if so, how often? I could see where they might change in mid-season (if you'd taken a good buck, already). Do you think of these things before heading out that opening day.....or do you play them by ear?

Does anyone make a game plan.....before the season starts?

Edit: I DID shoot a young deer, last fall (piebald). If I see another one.....I'll shoot it, too. We have no deer poplulation problems whereI live.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have your standards changed?

The only thing that has changed for me since I started bowhunting some 30 years ago is that back then if you even saw a deer you had better fling a arrow at it because it could be a long time before you saw another one. With the population the way that it is now I don't shoot yearlings but anything else that comes by my standhas a good chance of getting shot at.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 PM

my standards have always been a deer. If it was a deer and i had a good shot, i would take it.Now that i am gonna be bowhunting instead of guni think i am gonna be a little more selective due to the legnth of the season
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM

My deer standards definitely changed over the years from any deer to only P&Y class deer these days. As skill levels increase I feel I need to increase standards to keep the same challenge but I have the luxury of not having to hunt to fill my freezer (I fish to do that). [8D]

After shooting my first "book" brown bear I've upped my standards to only world record contenders. As the world record increases so too does my standard. I haven't got a need to fill my house with brown bear rugs.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:06 PM

ive never changed mine, but then again ive only been hunting for 5 or 6 years now. so maybe down the road they will change. only time will tell.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I find that playing things by ear and going into the season without some sort of a game plan often leads to a disapointing season.

Yes, my standards may change halfway through the season based on the activity of the deer in my area, but I always go into the season knowing what I'm after and what I'd like to acheive.

Since I started hunting, I've become more of a trophy hunter. I'm not saying that I hunt strictly mature bucks [yet], however; I hold out until the last few days of the season before deciding I'll stick a doe. We're only allowed one deer a year in Washington, so I don't have the benfit of being able to fill the freezer early with a doe and holding out for mature bucks the rest of the season.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope not at all.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coach,what's the game plan this week?

Coach repllied, "lower your standards raise your average!"

Naw all joking aside, standards and subsequently goalschange year to year for me. Like Kodiak eluded to with his above post. As for game plans, I can't remembera hunt I went on without a plan in place. Plan the hunt, hunt the plan as Gene/Barry Wensel say. It would be coaching a sport without a logical scheme for success based on the variables/obstacles your gonnafacefrom the opposition. Hard to win those gamesunless your talent base is superior, otherthan that yoursimplyrelying on circumstance and luck, I'dchose tostay home if that wasthe case. I'd rather work towardsaccomplishing agoal by setting a standard than lowering them to raise my average.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it all depends on what comes easy .... My family and myself LOVE venison .... we can eat 5 deer a year easily ... let my nephews and brother in the pic, add another 5 deer. So when I see the title of this thread, my answer would be ... what standard?

I have never hunted a place where taking even a 1 1/2 year old deer was automatic like some in here make it sound like they have it. If that were the case, I would be more picky ...but brother, I'm gonna fill my freezer.

As the deer fall, I get more picky ... after all, butchering all those deer get tiring Also, bowhunting is my absolute favorite way to hunt deer, as I can hunt many places and different bucks. If I am going to pass on a 1 1/2 year old buck, it'll be during bow season, as I believe my chances for a big daddy are better ... but that's me guys ...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My plan for this year is to wound a mature buck with my bow, immediately chase him down on foot and finish him with a knife. No more waiting for me thanks. I did this once before, but on accident. Since that time, nothing else makes my heart pump like that. It is the real deal. Dangerous - yes. For everyone - No. Am I a freak - most likely. If you're up to it - try it. You may just learn some pretty neat stuff about yourself.

Quick Reply: Have your standards changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.