Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The way the other guy hunts >

The way the other guy hunts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The way the other guy hunts

Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The way the other guy hunts

I've read this on here quite a lot "if it's legal don't worry about how the other guy hunts"

So what we are saying is everything is perfect in the hunting world and no changes need to be made to be made to game laws.

[ol][*]Forget about Antler restrictions and mandatory QDM. Make rules up for your own property and don't worry about how the other guy hunts. He wants to drop button bucks or 1.5 yr old deer. Don't worry about it.[*]Baiting where it is legal keep it that way. If it effects your land because your neighbor does it. Don't worry about just bait to.[*]Somebody wants to fence in 5 acres jam it to over flowing with trophy bucks and charge people to shoot them,don't worry about it.[*]If the state sets increasing large number of doe permits and your neighbor decides he wants to shoot ever deer that he can legally shoot and then allows every Tom, Dick and Harry to come and put drives on from sun up to sun down. Don't worry about it.[*]When your sitting in your tree stand and the neighbors kid decide to take the four wheeler to their stand at prime time don't worry about it.[*]When a buck walks by with an arrow sticking out of it's neck because the guy on the next lease believes that shot is lethal don't worry about it.[/ol]
Any other things we shouldn't worry about what the other guy is doing?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The way the other guy hunts

Wow.....where to begin with this???? I'll address them one at a time.

Forget about Antler restrictions and mandatory QDM. Make rules up for your own property and don't worry about how the other guy hunts. He wants to drop button bucks or 1.5 yr old deer. Don't worry about it.
If QDM is "mandatory"....then I'm assumingrulesare being broken (say...in a lease situation). That's easy. If it's NOT "mandatory"....then I don't see where you have ANY right to say what another man takes off of land that you have NO jurisdiction over.

Baiting where it is legal keep it that way. If it effects your land because your neighbor does it. Don't worry about just bait to.
If baiting is legal....understand......there's a valid reason for it. It's legal in our state......because the deer population is STRONG. In fact....we've got a surplus of deer. We'll be able (likely) to take unlimited does on private land, this year. If it's not legal in your state......again....there's likely a good reason for that. If it's legal and you choose NOT to.....then why would you begrudge your neighbor for hunting legally? I don't get it.

Somebody wants to fence in 5 acres jam it to over flowing with trophy bucks and charge people to shoot them,don't worry about it.
Whether I think what they're doing is "hunting" or "ethical" has little to do with whether or not I'd support their right to do it.....as long as it's legal. I would.

If the state sets increasing large number of doe permits and your neighbor decides he wants to shoot ever deer that he can legally shoot and then allows every Tom, **** and Harry to come and put drives on from sun up to sun down. Don't worry about it.
Again....there's a reason the extra doe permits were issued. Sounds to me like you have piss poor neighbors, too.

When your sitting in your tree stand and the neighbors kid decide to take the four wheeler to their stand at prime time don't worry about it.
If the kid's trespassing......prosecute him. If he's on his land.....sounds like you need a better spot.

When a buck walks by with an arrow sticking out of it's neck because the guy on the next lease believes that shot is lethal don't worry about it.
I'm not even sure of how to respond to this. What's your issue?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think youre just trying to start trouble...

Of course we should try to change regulations if we think things should change and dont agree, but we shouldnt attack each other over it. If its legal then they have the RIGHT to do it, no matter what it is. Ifyou think that right should be removed then youshould do it through the legal system by votingyour opinions.

Thats the great part about this country, One person's views dont change anything, its when the majority has a certain view that things change.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

There are alot of things that burn me up about other hunters. But like Ed said they have a right to do it. The last thing I want corrupting this sport is over-legislation.

One example is I know a lot of hunters who love toshoot deer but will not eat the venison. They donate it or give it away. My opinion is if you got the balls to kill you should respect the animal and use it. Ihunt fortrophies and meat, but I personally wont kill an animal I wont eat. Just my opinion.

Another is- we dont shootyoung bucks. I would love alaw preventing the harvest of young bucks but my neighbor probably wont. Whohas the moral authority to decide. Iam not sure.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: j_beste

The last thing I want corrupting this sport is over-legislation.

ORIGINAL: j_beste

I would love alaw preventing the harvest of young bucks

Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Personally Iwould love the law, HOWEVER I dontknow if it would beright or justified.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on who gets started on this thread I'm saying 15-18 pages.
popcorn....get your hot buttered popcorn here!

My short and sweet comments on the subject....It's human nature to be "bothered" by what other people do when you feel it impacts you. In a perfect world the thing you dont like to see happen either wouldn't happen or be far enough away that you don't care. People wouldn't try to outlaw hunting. The resources wouldn't be pressured to the point where it mattered what your neighbors did, there's plenty to go round regardless of chosen method. But things aren't like that...at all. So human nature rears its head and people pick and argue about what the other guy does.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I've read this on here quite a lot "if it's legal don't worry about how the other guy hunts"

So what we are saying is everything is perfect in the hunting world and no changes need to be made to be made to game laws.
[ol][*]Forget about Antler restrictions and mandatory QDM. Make rules up for your own property and don't worry about how the other guy hunts. He wants to drop button bucks or 1.5 yr old deer. Don't worry about it.[*]Baiting where it is legal keep it that way. If it effects your land because your neighbor does it. Don't worry about just bait to.[*]Somebody wants to fence in 5 acres jam it to over flowing with trophy bucks and charge people to shoot them,don't worry about it.[*]If the state sets increasing large number of doe permits and your neighbor decides he wants to shoot ever deer that he can legally shoot and then allows every Tom, Dick and Harry to come and put drives on from sun up to sun down. Don't worry about it.[*]When your sitting in your tree stand and the neighbors kid decide to take the four wheeler to their stand at prime time don't worry about it.[*]When a buck walks by with an arrow sticking out of it's neck because the guy on the next lease believes that shot is lethal don't worry about it.[/ol]

Any other things we shouldn't worry about what the other guy is doing?
Are you serious? This may be one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen. You can make the "don't worry about it" argument for anything on the planet. Don't take it personal but this threadis ridiculous.[&:]
Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

I am giving my personal opinions on these 6. I will add my opinons are based upon them being legal.

1. Unless QDM is a law, its none of my business what a guy shoots on his land.
2. If baiting is legal and your neighbor does it, not much can be said. By the way, if it came up for debate in my state I would voice my opinion against it.
3. If its legal its legal, but don't expect me to heap praise on anyone who shoots a nice buck this way or to hold my tongue if I were asked by a legislator what I thought.
4. Its legal here in Illinois as long as the proper permits are bought. I don't do it though because I can only eat so many deer and my area is not overflowed with deer.
5. As long as he is legal, fine. But you can bet the neighbor and me will have a little talk and try to find some common ground.
6. What can be said?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think youre just trying to start trouble
Your wrong and you won't see me say anything bad about anyone on this thread.

I see the as long as it's legal/big tent attitude alot. Until it effects the way a person hunts.

Hey it's the offseason and I feel like discussing this.

If QDM is "mandatory"....
It never was sowhy try and make it mandatory now anywhere?

Again....there's a reason the extra doe permits were issued. Sounds to me like you have piss poor neighbors, too.
It was a Hypothetical question,why would they be piss poor? What their doing is legal,they might really need the meet.

Whether I think what they're doing is "hunting" or "ethical" has little to do with whether or not I'd support their right to do it.....as long as it's legal. I would.
You think that is good for hunting?

I'm not even sure of how to respond to this. What's your issue?
Well pull up some of the threads on neck shots in bow hunting and you'll see alot of issues.

Quick Reply: The way the other guy hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.