Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Giraffe hunting? >

Giraffe hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Giraffe hunting?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Giraffe hunting?

giraffes have plenty of backstraps [8D]
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM

In the two cases I know of people shooting giraffes...it was because they were sick...both were hunting kudo and other african species and the guides said for another fee we can let you shoot this dieing giraffe...one had cancer in it's leg the other was really old...and they try to get them out of the gene pool...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Are neck shots ethical?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM

My taxidermist also went to Africa and took a giraffe as well as like 7 or 8 other animals.

All of the meat is left to (not donated to, that would indicate that you own it) the locals. and the hides and skulls are shipped back.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can you imagine the shoulder mount...... you would need one tall cathedral ceiling for that sucker!!!!

This thread is crackin' me up! LOL
Old 03-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Here's an outfitter that seems to hunt them regularly.

http://www.limcroma.com/trophy-gallery.htm
Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with giraffes:

Most folks that shoot giraffes do so because they've shot just about everything else. This is the rule, and of course, there are exceptions. Some guys think they're cool and look great in trophy rooms. One hunter on my last safari was dying to kill a giraffe.In the end, he did not do it. He spent the $3500 trophy fee on critters which presented a greater challenge.

IMO, a giraffe would be one of the easy trophies a person could ever kill. They are very easy to approach...The hardest thing about killing one is getting an arrow through their thick skin and bone structure.A giraffe'sheart is enormous and thus an easy target!I was with a Ph that shot one from 30 yards with a 70 lb Hoyt Magnatech. The arrow bounced off! Another Ph shotthe giraffein the back of the head with a 375 H&H as it was running away. The thing crumpled! We tried the bow again from a mere six yards. The arrow penetrated about four to fiveinches. After skinning the beast, It was easy to see why the arrow from that particular bow setup had little effect. The skin was nearly an inch and a quarter thick. No kidding! A bigger bow would have been a better choice. Thisgiraffe was a four year old cull animal (a bull).

SCI has no official scoring method for either giraffe or zebra. But it is pretty easy to distinguishmature animals. See links below:

http://www.huntingpictures.net/showphoto.php/photo/11424/size/big/sort/1/cat/500
http://www.huntingpictures.net/showphoto.php/photo/11419/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

I would definitely hunt zebra (have actaully spent 42 days trying to get one via spot and stalk), but I'll pass on the giraffe (they're cool to see though).

Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna make my million selling giraffe calls and rattling antlers
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did not know they hunted them either, definatly not my bag of tricks.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

how can you tell that zebra is mature?

Quick Reply: Giraffe hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.