Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update >

MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

What an interesting thread. I had not heard of any of this until now. Does anyone have info on when the original mythbusters episode will be aired and/or when Mr. Ferguson will be showing something as well?

Thanks
I don't know when it will be re-aired. They do re-show them sometimes though.

Here is a snapshot of the episode:

Arrow Splitting: Busted

Tory, Grant and Kari try to test this Robin Hood myth that Robin Hood clean split an arrow smack dab in the middle. So Tory is a bow hunter so he gives it a go. He splits an arrow but just barely. So they give up on that and build an arrow machine which still only barely splits it because of the wind. So they take it inside where theres no wind and still dont split it clean down the middle with even max accuracy. Finally they throw in the towel.
As far as when Byron will attempt this, I really do not know. It was the first that Iread of it yesterday in interviewwith him inTraditional Bowhunter Magazine. He is in the planning stage though.

When I hear anything, I'll let you know.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM

I think the original claim was that it had to be a solid wood shaft as would have been used in the "Robin Hood" era. They were unable to do that and most of the claimed reason was that the grain of the wood forced the second shaft to run out the side of the first before splitting clean to the target. They revisited it with a bamboo shaft and if I recall correctly they were able to do it.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the original claim was that it had to be a solid wood shaft as would have been used in the "Robin Hood" era.
Correct, that is what Byron (according to the article) will be using. Don't know for sure but I'd imagine it would be straight grain POC. Keep in mind that Bamboo is not wood, it's grass.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 PM

Even with the highest quality POC the grain may twist over the length of the shaft. If I had to put money on it I'd say that he won't be able to get it split clean to the target face. I'm sure he'll get the nock end but I think it's going to run out the side of the shaft. JMHO.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Does anyone know what kind of tips he plans on using for this? With broadheads he stands a chance, with field tips it'll be tough.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Kodiak, the grain will have to run the center of the entire length of the arrow. POC's like that these days are hard to come by. I'm also guessing he'll be using self nocks. Don't know about the tips. I guess we'll have to see. I doubt if he'll use broadheads though.

This is all scpeculation though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Just wanted to bring it to your attention to the article.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

the thing that gets me about any robin hood is that it is a completly random event , i defy anyone to step up and robin hood an arrow on command. it is a lucky shot
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bob d

the thing that gets me about any robin hood is that it is a completly random event , i defy anyone to step up and robin hood an arrow on command. it is a lucky shot
I gotta agree on this point. I have been slinging arrows for over thirty years and have four robin hoods to date, each with different setups and with a number of years in between.

Also, I have yet to hear anyone"CALL" a robin hood!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey if it was easy, it sure wouldn't be an accomplishment.

I agree that most are random. And most are not in the middle of the target.

But now you've got someone who is stepping up and saying they can do it. Personally, I'm excitedto see him try.

I've seen kids shoot dimes out of the air at 10 paces. I've seen Byron shoot an aspirin, coins,and life saversout of the air. I've also seen Byron shoot an airial target out of the air while standing in the bed of a moving pickup truck.

If he says he's confident of making a Robin Hood, I say let him give it a go.

BTW, you may want to read his book. He did call a Robin Hood at a shooting exhibition. He said that he was shootingso clean and his confidence level was so high that he picked and called an arrow in the target and nailed it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure if anyone could do it, BF can. I have seen him do some pretty impressive shots through the years.

Quick Reply: MythBusters - Byron Ferguson - Update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.