Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Meat

Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Bear Meat

I used to get Bear and Elk all the time when I was with one of my (now) ex girlfriends. Her dad was an avid hunter and went all over to hunt. Bear was really good. Elk was awesome for burgers or steaks I remember.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

It is very good. We always havea beer and bear party when we get back from a hunt. Prissy girls there and they enjoy it too.I have even had a locker smoke a ham and it tasted just like ham. The secret is to trim off all fat and slow cook the meat.
The only negative thingafter eating it is the uncontrolable desire to rub your butt on a log and a craving for honey.[8D]
Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

What is considered the best cut from a bear? I have the same feelings I don't go hunting for a trophy rug, I like to eat what I kill.
Backstraps of course.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

After I clicked submit I realized I was being a hipocrite...I won't eat a coyote!
Well you obviously aren't hardcore and a total waster giving hunters a bad name. JK!! I'm not sure how hungry I would have to be to eat a 'yote.
Yes, obviously he is Ryan and I am hardcore.[8D]I would rank a coyotes' taste right up with a buzzard and a crow. Yum Yum!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

It is very good. We always havea beer and bear party when we get back from a hunt. Prissy girls there and they enjoy it too.I have even had a locker smoke a ham and it tasted just like ham. The secret is to trim off all fat and slow cook the meat.
The only negative thingafter eating it is the uncontrolable desire to rub your butt on a log and a craving for honey.[8D]
LMBO! Actually Don, I always have that desire, bear meat or not! [8D]No tree is safe in my hood...

Have you ever had jerkey made with bear meat you guys?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

You mean we're not supposed to do that? No wonder my friends always make fun of me in public.....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

oops ... just sawpost #2 on Jerky ....

burb .... beatcha to that joke [8D]
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM

I have taken bear b4 but have never nibbled on one. I return the carcasses to the bush where other critters can eat it up as i do with all of my fur bearing animals.. Perfectly legal and i have no problems in doing it. My only recomendation is if you are going to keep a bear for meat take a fall bear where they have been eating well on grain, grass berries etc. A bear that is hitting the bait hard has been eating beavers, dohnuts, cooking oil etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM

I agree a fall bear is better for eatting however I spring bear hunt in canada ever couple of years. Usually the back straps and roasts are all we take.
I purchased a meat tenderizor called the Jaccard.
Hope its ok to do this link.
http://www.jaccard.com/Home-Product-WTender-48B.asp?group=R

bear meat is very stringie. the jaccard cuts those fibers and allows it to break down, thus being tendor.
the next trick is, put it in a zip lock bag filled with Butter Milk. This will also cause it to break down and not be so tough. after 24 hours pour off the butter milk, rinse and repeat, soak for an additional 24 hours in butter milk. ( this also pulls the blood out of the meat, so the oil, fishie taste is gone )
now pick out the seasoning you want. I use a herb and lemon marinaide, and soak it for another 24 hours.

my prefrence is to cube the meat and make kabobs. cook them on the grill and you won't be able to cook them fast enough for everyone to eat.
I saved my bear and did this in elk camp one year. I had to fight to get one bear kabob for myself LOL.

by the way when soaking it in buttermilk over night make sure its in the fridge
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

I myself would not make or eat jerky made from bear meat. Bear meat is like pig meat and can have a parasite called trichnososis in it. Jerky making does not reach the desired temp in the meat to make me feel safe to eat it. To each his own though. Think about it, trichnososis in pork is much less of a concern than years ago and stores or lockers around here or anywhere I have ever been,still do not sell or make pork jerky. You may end up with one or more of these in ya.

Quick Reply: Bear Meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.