Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wanted:Black bear >

Wanted:Black bear

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wanted:Black bear

Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wanted:Black bear

I've been on about 15 Bear Bowhunts.
Took 1 18 12/16" inMn. many years ago& a 19" in Quebec. I hunted Ontario 5 times & MISSED 2 Bears with NO sighting the other 3 times.
7 other DIY Bowhunts in Mn./Ws. Passed 7 small bears & saw nothing twice on those hunts.
I know Mn. is draw (& fall) but I have SEEN more Bears there than any other place I have hunted for Black Bears. Guided OR DIY. Good Luck...
What about your own state or another western state-closer I would think.
Good Luck..It is a thrill when one finally comes in to a bait.
Never hound hunted them but I think that is available in some western states.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoops, i dont know why i typed Ontario, [&:]???? Im going bear hunting in Quebec. It must be a monday cause i cant seem to do anything right today.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't bear hunt (haven't yet)......but I know a guy here in my state (NC) that has a guide service that's produced 600+# bears (You can see them at bear hunting magazine).

NC has a good bear population and the size of the animals is also quite comparable with many.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

That is his username. Dan His ears are probably ringing now. He can sniff out a bear thread from miles away.[8D]
What's my username? Actually I am booked for this year and next. Send me a PM and I can get your name on a waiting list and can answer any questions you have.

Don, you are correct. The chances of seeing a ton of bears in Ontario is great. The bigger ones are killed in SK and MB. Your figure for the average size that outfitters are killing in Ont is correct, about 150-175#. My average is actually quite a bit higher than that. Over the last 4 years my average is around 240. The first day of season I had 4 guys on stand and they killed bears weighing 300, 300, 320, 330.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

That is his username. Dan His ears are probably ringing now. He can sniff out a bear thread from miles away.[8D]
What's my username? Actually I am booked for this year and next. Send me a PM and I can get your name on a waiting list and can answer any questions you have.

Don, you are correct. The chances of seeing a ton of bears in Ontario is great. The bigger ones are killed in SK and MB. Your figure for the average size that outfitters are killing in Ont is correct, about 150-175#. My average is actually quite a bit higher than that. Over the last 4 years my average is around 240. The first day of season I had 4 guys on stand and they killed bears weighing 300, 300, 320, 330.

See, I told you he would show up.[8D]
Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a thought for you...try hunting Arizona for big bears. Before any of you turn your nose up to the thought take a look at this link http://www.arizonahunting.net/bear.htm. The guy who owns this service hasa Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Biology degree from the University of Arizona. This would be a different type of bear hunt and would be something to talk about for years to come I think. Anyway take a look and see if it is something you would consider.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 PM

I went to Saskatchewan in 05 to Smoothstone Lake Lodge. About 4 hour drive north of Saskatoon. 4 of 6 killed. 1 guy missed 2 and hit one(no recovery). Last guy passed on legal sow. First rate modern camp. This year is first time for outcamp.Christian owner. Highly recommend. This year's rate is $2300 American for hunt.Other fees are license, taxes, transporation (car) from Saskatoon.

This Spring I am goingback to Saskatchewan but to another outfitter. Thunder Mountain Outfitting,northeast of Saskatoon, I think. $1795American for this one. All same fees as above, except airport pickup is offered. This will save vehicle rental. The difference was around $700. After reference checks and prayer my friends and I chose here.

I have literature for two more in Quecbec thatread as possibilities but I haven't checked references. Canadian Adventure Black Bear (www.canadaventure.net) and Taggart Bay Lodge (www.taggartbaylodge.com).This one is from Alberta. (www.huntingalberta.com)

I hope this helps. MyDad andI are going together this Spring also. This will bespecial for me. PM me if I can be of further assistance.
Kyle
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM

I live in british columbia we have bears and lots of them we are over populated with bears . Its nothing to go out in the spring and see a dozen in an afternoon. Vancover Island bears are hugh only thing is there`s no baiting so its spot and stalk or run with dogs.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

The times I've gone with an outfitter for bear hunting , its been in Saskatchewan Canada. Float Plane out of LaRonge. Many outfitters up there and its usually a fishing/hunting combo trip. if you want 40+ inch pike and big walley the churchill water way is the place to be.

do a search or checkout the international sportsmans expos. they have them all over the country and some good outfitters are there.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have hunted Viking Lodge in Manitoba w/ good success. 5 trips 4 kills. One year I only saw one bear and it was small. The next week a 13 year old kid shot a monster out of that very stand. I believe it was 7'8" and 460# field dressed. That is an absolute freak of nature. The bears I have killed have all been on the small side and probably 3 years old. Normally I see more than one bear per evening w/ constant activity some of the time. Ted has been baiting the area for 20-30 years so the bears are use to his sights and come in regularly. I would say you can expect a 150-200 bear with the possibility of larger ones showing up. I have taken a chocolate and had a small cinniman sp come in several times last year.

I believe the rate is $2000 for the hunt and includes lodging, tranportation to & from your stand, skining & freezing the meat. Boats for fishing are part of the package.Fishing can be excellent. You do your own cooking.

I think you can do a search for Viking Lodge and come up w/ the details. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Wanted:Black bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.