HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   back tension (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/181801-back-tension.html)

drhoyt 02-22-2007 07:28 PM

back tension

i am thinking about trying one and am curious how it works. are they the same as a thumb trigger, i have been looking at the carters and they have a thumb trigger, or am i mistaken

thanks

dan

TFOX 02-22-2007 08:12 PM

RE: back tension

There is NO trigger on a back tension.It fires with rotation,but a thumb trigger should be fired the same way.

Check out this,he is using a thumb trigger but is using back tension to fire it.

Zdeerslayer 02-22-2007 08:15 PM

Would it be smart to try a thumb release for target shooting, even though I use a regular wrist style for hunting, or would that mess me up to much. I've read on the forums that the thumb styleshelp your form, is this right?

drhoyt 02-22-2007 08:44 PM

so you draw the bow get it to your anchor point and then twist and it goes off, and a thumb trigger wouldn't be much different than a regular release than, or am i wrong

thanks

dan

TFOX 02-22-2007 09:04 PM

BT is fired with the back muscles,not with the fingers.You can see in the picture where he sets his fingers and then they stop moving and then the release goes of when he starts relaxing and pulling into the release with his back muscles.Some say to squeeze your shoulder blades together,I was helped mostly when someone said to me you use the same muscles to fire the release that you use to keep the bow from creeping.BUT relaxation on the pull is key.

Imay not be the best at explaing it,I can barely do it.[8D]

zdeer,I wouldn't hesitate trying one,(except for price);)I switch for hunting also.Once you learn bt,your shooting will improve dramatically.

Zdeerslayer 02-22-2007 09:19 PM

Thanks I am going to keep my eyes on the classifieds for some good deals, expect a pm fromme asking if its a good quality release or not.;)

gibblet 02-23-2007 05:03 AM

he's not shooting that release w/ back tension - sorry tfox.i can do it pretty good - and that ain't it. doesn't mean he couldn't smoke me in his sleep, but its not bt.

drhoyt 02-23-2007 07:39 AM

so would you recomend a thumb trigger over a bt. i was looking at the carter chocalate release. the reason i want to get one is to be more accurate. with my regular release i seem to always drop my arm, or i pull to the left.

thanks

dan

GregH 02-23-2007 08:38 AM

Back tension is the most accurate method for shooting a release. BT can be used with caliper, thumb trigger and obviously, pure BT releases. I hunt with a Winn Freeflight release and you cannot shoot that style of release with BT. This is because the wrist strap encompasses the whole release hand.

The act of back tension is done by creating a push/pull tension with the bow arm and the release arm,by usingthe back muscles. When at full draw and anchored, stabilize your body with your back muscles. This should allow you to have a completely relaxed bow hand and release hand.

The next step is to set your trigger finger/thumb. For a thumb release, you curl your thumb up and lightly rest it on the trigger. Careful, Carters can have an extremely sensitive trigger. It's something you'll have to play with. It is best to stand up close to a blank bale and try this until you're comfortable with it. Once the thumb is set, start the push/pull with your back muscles. Keep both tensions (push and pull), in the same plane. As the release arm moves backwards (it is barely perceptable) the little and ring fingers will want to naturally move farther than the other fingers and will rock the trigger into your thumb, thus setting off the release. It WILL be a complete surprise to you! Sometimes it is good to practice with your eyes closed in order to get a feel for this type of shooting. When trying to aim and hit a target, all you should be doing is aiming, aiming, aiming.... until the release goes off. This is what makes BT so accurate. Your only job is to aim, the release becomes automatic. It stops you from punching the trigger.

Caliper releases can aslo be shot with BT. I call it the hook and pull method. When you draw your bow and anchor, hook your index (trigger) finger over the calipers trigger. Hook it deep, at least to the first knuckle if not half way to the second knuckle. Then start your tension and finish the shot as mentioned above.

Pure BT releases. These have no visable trigger. I like the Stanislawski models. For indoor, I prefer the two-finger stan. You draw the bow with one finger then after getting anchored you carefully hook the second finger, then start your pull.

Perfecting your shooting form by shooting back tension will really improve your accuracy and consistancy. But remember, at times, hunting situations differ from target situations and you may have to force the shot or trigger the release when the mind shouts "NOW!". Not the best situation but sometimes happens.

As I mentioned earlier, I hunt with a Winns release. I will be switching this year to a Tru-ball Tornado, caliper so I can use BT. I believe it is the best way to go. Although for target archery I shoot Stans or Carters, I prefer a wrist strap caliper for hunting.

drhoyt 02-23-2007 01:09 PM

thans for the replies, GregH you really explained it well thank you

dan