Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

back tension

Old 02-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: back tension

Good job Greg.

The new carters have an adjustable tension system and you can change the springs in them by removing 1 screw.It is the I.T.S. system.

AWESOME

Ther first thing I did was take the spring out and put the heaviest spring in the package in mine.

Just remeber not to fight it and relax.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:57 PM

would you guys recommend a 3 or 4 finger release
Old 02-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer 3 but I believe it is a personall thing.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Would it be smart to try a thumb release for target shooting, even though I use a regular wrist style for hunting
IMHO No it would not be smart

I use a thumb release for everything except my recurve

The one big advantage the thumb release has in a hunting situation is you can have it clipped to the string loop and hangthe bowon a bow holder for those long waits.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Would it be smart to try a thumb release for target shooting, even though I use a regular wrist style for hunting
IMHO No it would not be smart

I use a thumb release for everything except my recurve

The one big advantage the thumb release has in a hunting situation is you can have it clipped to the string loop and hangthe bowon a bow holder for those long waits.
Thanks, I think I may pick one up if the price is right, hope you guys dont find a few pm's if I find one that fits the bill, just to ask if you think the quality is good.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

GregH has it spot on. Great description of how to properly shoot the different styles of releases.

Shane
Old 02-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is a fantastic link I found over at A.T.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=453861

This gets into some of the differnces between the thumb style bt and triggerless,rotational bt.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

another link
scroll down to Try It With Back Tension

http://www.mnarchery.org/MSAAWebCorner.html#Try%20It%20with%20Back%20Tensio n

THIS QUOTE CAME FROM THE LINK,I did not write it.

You can recognize when someone is doing a decent job of using back tension, upon release their bow will jump forward and their release hand will naturally fall back - both of these actions in relation to how the back muscles were loaded with the tension of the bow. Nearer to butt 1 on the tournament line you will see a lot of this going on.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 AM

push/pull is only 1 method of a sort of half back tension/half bulldog approach. there is another approach, a jedi approach, that has to do w/ muscle control, skeletal positioning, and more than anything else - relaxation. it takes the calm clear mind of a jedi. it takes the ability to relax your release fingers, execpt your hook - andits hanging. you have to relax your forearm, your tricep, your bicep, your shoulder - everything except your rhomboid. if your neck isn't in the proper position - you can't shoot this style of bt.tension in your bow hand willdisturb this style of shooting - anyunnecessary tension will. this is much more difficult to learn than the push/pull method, which should be more accurately called - shoulder tension. there is no archer's explosion when pure back tension is shot properly. the release hand will move no more than 2", and whatever happens to the bow after the shot- the shooter has no idea - nor does he/she care. there is no such thing as 'follow-thru' w/ pure back tension.once in full draw position - there is not 1 pound of added tension on the string before release. this stuff all came, i believe, from folks who couldn't learn pure bt. they've developed an easier method to learn, and it works lights out for many of them - butits still not'pure' bt, and i don't think it should be talked about as such. it is its own 'philosophy' and i think we should talk about it as such.it is quite deserving of havingits own heading when we talk about this stuff - seeing how successful it is, and how good its disciples are. when you get to a point w/ shooting - you have to go 1 way or another or another at a certain point. you really have to join a philosophy of shooting. they're all designed to correct the things that go wrong w/ consistancy, and you're free to change philosophies at any point. me, obviously i'm in the school that came to and now thru larry wise. its not any better than the push/pull school, and that was developed by problems (mainly speed of learning i think) w/ the 'pure bt' school. then its my understanding that bernie teaches differently still - and maybe in this life i'll get a chance to master the school i'm in and then try some others. i don't know, i guess i'm saying there are branches of thought and technique here, and folks read this stuff and they should know there are some pretty neat roads to walk down in the worldof archery.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Gibblet, as you were describing true back tension I thought of Larry Wise's book before you even mentioned his name. As you stated, its all about eliminating the shooters arm muscles from the shotand using the skeletal system in order to relax. If the shooter is pushing with his or her bow arm, the arm muscles are being used which is the exact opposite of what true back tension tries to accomplish. I have executed shots with pure back tension ( using the rhomboid and levitor scapulae as Larry's book teaches) and it is a feeling all its own. Its like nothing on your body moves at all and the bow goes off without the slightest bit of anticipation. I have also used the push/pull method and a spring trigger on a caliper to geta surprise release but its just not the same as when I used the true back tension. Having said that I should also state that I don't shoot true back tension all the time because Ican't duplicate it regularly enough and I justdon't want to dedicate the 6 - 12 months it takes to master it (if thats possible). I do however get a surprise release every time, even when hunting, and if any archer can accomplish this, no matter how he does it, his shooting will improve.

Quick Reply: back tension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.