Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leasons of a beginner >

Leasons of a beginner

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leasons of a beginner

Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Leasons of a beginner

This past year was my first year bowhunting, save a couple of scattered occasions in the past. I have deer hunted for the past 12-13 years with a rifle, but I wanted more season this year ( I started getting that itch about a month earlier this year for soe reason). I know I do not have much experience to offer here, but I thought I would share the leasons I learned, in hopes that others can benifit from them.

1. Get a bow that fits you!
I listed this first, because it was the most important thing to me. I got an old bear whitetail 2 for my 16 birthday in 96. I really couldn't hit worth squat with it. I have always wanted a Mathews, so this year I bought my dream Switchback XT. With my new bow, I got my draw length measured. I have a 27" draw, and my old bow was a 28". It is unreal the difference it made!

2. Practice, practice, practice
I got my bow in late September, so I did not have much time before my mid October starting date. I practiced as much as I could, but I was only really consistent out to 20 yards by the time season started. It would have been really hard to let a deer pass at thirty, but I would have had no choice. With another year of practice under my belt, I have no doubt my range will be extended.

3. Don't set your bow too heavy.
My bow came in set at 70#. After a few shots in the shop, I had them crank it down to 65#. I knew that I could not get enough practice in during my few sessions if I had to draw too much weight.

4. SCENT MATTERS
Yes, I already knew this, but I did not have a good grasp on the extent. I have hunted out of shooting houses at deer many yards away. I washed myself and all camo in scent free soap, and stored in a scent free bag with dirt wafers. The one item missed was my bogin. Two does came in from behind me (I expected them to come from the other way). I did not know it until I heard something downwind. I turned around to see them running the other way. When I got home, I sniffed everything, and my bogin smelled like sweat. Hard leason to learn, to say the least.

5. Closed camo patterns suck
Well, unless the cover is perfect for them (not often) I was haed to toe in realtree hardwoods. My ladder stand was up in an oak. I had a doe come out about eighty yards from me. She looked my way and her eyes locked on me. I did not have thick cover around me, and I stuck out like a lighthouse against the sky. I hope to save the funds to buy some predator fall grey before next season.

Well, that is about the extent of it. I did not get to shoot at anything with my bow this year. Those does I mentioned were all I saw while hunting with gun or bow. One morning when I was about to go to work, I saw some deer in a neighbors pasture. I shot a couple with my rifle, so me and him each got some meat for the freezer. Now I just need to find some hogs close to home so I can bring the bow back into the woods before next October.

I know that was lengthy, and really common sense for most folks. But you have to start and learn those easy leasons some time. I hope some of you can benifit from my mistakes. I can't wait to give it another try next year!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leasons of a beginner

BWB,

Sounds to me like you're on your way down the road... You might want to read the post about confidence and concentration. They, too, are key elements. Stay within the law and enjoy your experiences. Expect nothing-feel fortunate.

I wish you the best of luck with all your hunting endeavors. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

You strike me as the kind of guy with all his beans in a row, sounds like you have been doing your homework and going down the correct path. Just put in the time and it will happen eventually. Make sure you pick a spot on the animal and not look at the whole animal, common mistake alot of first timers make. You will find that you will learn more about the deer thru bowhunting simply because you watch them more and learn there habits because they are not always close enough to shoot. Hope you have a great upcoming season and post pics if it happens. enjoy your quest.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM

I am starting bowhunting for turkey and deer this season, and i have done alot of homework on it. Thanks for the tips its nice to hear from someone that has just started, and what their experiences are.