Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads???? >

Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads????

Old 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads????

I am going from replaceable blade bh's to a cut on contact, need to sharpen,bh I formerly used. How do you guys getyour bhs razor sharp? What steps and materials do you use?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads????

Buy Magnus...........and send them in when you want them sharpened. They will do it for you.........and they come back like a scalpel.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the tip on Magus, but I already have the heads and need to sharpen them.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Sorry... Magnus
Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use two blade heads and sharpen them on a honing stone the same way I sharpen my knife. I try to imagine shaving a very thin sliver from the stone and make about 20-30 strokes before turning over and doing it again on the other side. I keep at this until they are sharp enough to shave hair from my arm. Once you have established the edge it's no big deal to touch them up.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: kmartz

Thanks for the tip on Magus, but I already have the heads and need to sharpen them.
What kind of heads are you trying to sharpen?

Try this.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my 2 blade heads,I use the Tru-angle sharpener.It's basically 2 flat mill bastard files set on an angled block at the correct angle.Gets 'em nice and sharp

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Broadheads_-_Points/Broadhead_Sharpeners/Truangle_Model_S-24_Files/Page_1/PNT2410905.html
Old 02-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Don't I feel silly atlasman. My head are Snuffers. I didn't know the full name was Magnus Snuffer. I remembered them asRothhaar Snuffer. I've had these for quite a few years.Have they always been Magnus Rothhaar Snuffer? I saw the file techniqueon the Magnus site and checked out the tool from Cabelas. Thanks. I have used a file and have asimiliar sharpening tool. I just can't get that shaving razor edge. I will have to spend more time and try to improve my technique.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: kmartz

Don't I feel silly atlasman. My head are Snuffers. I didn't know the full name was Magnus Snuffer. I remembered them asRothhaar Snuffer. I've had these for quite a few years.Have they always been Magnus Rothhaar Snuffer? I saw the file techniqueon the Magnus site and checked out the tool from Cabelas. Thanks. I have used a file and have asimiliar sharpening tool. I just can't get that shaving razor edge. I will have to spend more time and try to improve my technique.
For a 3 blade head like the snuffers I would use astone like this one from G5. Nice heads.......the accushap works well on 2 blade heads.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks for your help. That's why I joined. Folks here are very helpful.

Quick Reply: Achieving RAZOR sharp boadheads????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.