Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about a new release >

Thinking about a new release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about a new release

Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Default RE: Thinking about a new release

ORIGINAL: TFOX

You say you don't use a hair trigger,great.So you can put your finger on the release without problems.What I am trying to get people to understand is why hairtriggers are not as good as advertised.You asked for ups or downs.I am giving you the downside.
I realize that and I appreciate it............That could have been done without insinuating I had early target panic and never learned to aim correctly.

When I say it goes off without you wanting it to,I am talking about a misfire,that is a completely different kind of surprise.
Like the bloody noses I described from back tension releases right?

Just because you are tired when this occurs,doesn't mean it won't lead to tp,that is how it starts in most of us.
It also doesn't mean it will...........perhaps your constant fear of target panic (I notice you won't even type the words ) is something you should look into. Kinda like someone going out to play football and trying not to get hurt..........if your goal of shooting is not to develope target panic then it's only a matter of time.

Most of us shoot bad when we get tired.You say you think it will solve some bad habbits when in fact,the hairtrigger will cause some bad habits,which lead to tp.Better off to just rest a little bit.
Man.........you are reading WAY too much into this. You are imagining in your head that I have problems shooting that I am trying to solve. I am basically bored and looking for something to spend money on........so I might as well get something different......I shot a light trigger and liked it and I think I might like the anchoring of a thumb release. Everything else you invented on your own.

I have had tp.A friend of mine was a VERY GOOD target shooter and he got it so bad he had to quit altogether for a while.It took bt release and aiming practice for both of us.
What does that have to do with me buying a different release?

I am not saying you have target panick NOW,I am saying with your habbits when you get tired,that can multiply into target panick.Maybe it will and maybe it won't,just giving you the downside that you asked for.It can be a slow process or a long one,or maybe it will never affect you.It all depends onthe person.
Sorry, I am just not the kind of guy who loses sleep over something that may happen 15 years from now.........and what habits are you talking about?? There is not a single archer in the world who's pin doesn't wander when they get tired.......you are searching for a problem that isn't there.

Sorry I gave you what you didn't want to hear.
That's not it at all........you are simply extrapolating for no reason.

By the way,this info about hairtriggers was given to me by one of the countries most respected teachers in the archery industry.He travels the country training and testing coaches for several archery organizations.He is a level 4 coach and level 5 is the highest you can get.

Take it for what it is worth.
I never questioned the value of what you said about hair triggers (for some reason you think I am). All your excess baggage you brought along for the ride is the problem.

I have a question for ya..........what is the definition of a "hair trigger"?? With the adjustability of releases today you can shoot from almost no pressure to a pretty stiff pull.........where is the line between the target panic inducer and safe?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

You've provided some great info on this thread, TFOX... reminds me of a saying I once heard: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

You guys are hilarious.............can't even ask opinions about a release without a diagnosis of target panic..........and then denial.

I shot a 296 round of 3D with my brothers league last week............forgive me if I don't lose any sleep over my bad habits and imminent target panic

I have seen target panic............my good friend had a pretty weird experience with it 2 years ago. I am not trying to dismiss it or diminish it's possible impact.........I am just not going to sit around worrying about something and looking for even the slightest hint of it's existence.

You guys need to relax a little bit.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I just switched from a Scott mongoose to a TRU Fire 3D Hunter thumb release. Tonight was my first time shooting it, but I love the way it fits just behind my jaw bone. With my wrist release I never really had a good anchor, but with the thumb style i feel solid everytime. It may be worth looking into.
Cool........are the calipers small because they look it. I am looking for a small set of jaws to fit in a smaller loop.

Yea the head is pretty small. I shot with Mo Bowhntr today and he shoots a carter and it was slightly bigger than his carter that only has a hook. It doesnt have a caliper head on it. I like mine, but Mo Bow didnt like it after shooting his carter, but carters are a little more pricey. The tru fire is a lot less sensitive than the carter. Hope this helps.
Matt
I like the size of that one and the short head............not sure if a non rigid connection would be better though (like a strap or rope) just to avoid torque.

Which Carter does he have?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I shot a 296 round of 3D with my brothers league last week............forgive me if I don't lose any sleep over my bad habits and imminent target panic

The friend I spoke of was shooting up scores in 3d in the open class and thought he had everything going his way when it hit him.

Get a release with little or no travel in the trigger but has to have pressure to go off.

I'm out
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas..

Haven't made up my mind just yet on the sight. But have learned alot of great things about the Viper. It just may become my new sight. Want to get a better feel for the G5 first.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 PM

The friend I spoke of was shooting up scores in 3d in the open class and thought he had everything going his way when it hit him.
I know, I know.........and Chuck Knoblauch, David Duval, Mark Wohlers, Ian Baker Finch and many others never saw it coming either. If stories like his and theirs make you live in fear of the same fate then that is your choice..........not mine. You may want to consider fixing that phobia before in manifests itself on the range

Get a release with little or no travel in the trigger but has to have pressure to go off.
That is exactly what I have described that I am looking for...........or a thumb release.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Atlas..

Haven't made up my mind just yet on the sight. But have learned alot of great things about the Viper.
Like what?

It just may become my new sight. Want to get a better feel for the G5 first.
Exact same boat I am in right now........Ihave to get my hands on a G5 soon to check it out.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Atlas I shoot this release. Not exactly but pretty much the same thing. They dont sell them anymore so I'm hanging on to it for awhile.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did fix it,it was called bt and aiming practice.I then started shooting up scores,beforeI quit shooting competitively.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 PM

I did fix it,it was called bt and aiming practice.I then started shooting up scores,beforeI quit shooting competitively.

That story seems backwards.........most guys hang it up when they are shooting out the lights (literally) and stick withit when they areshootin' lights out (figuratively).

Glad you beat it man..........and thanks for theinfo.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.