Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about a new release >

Thinking about a new release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about a new release

Old 02-17-2007, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Thinking about a new release

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Hair triggers aren't bad if you get a good release. I have my Scott set to a hair trigger and there's nothing better than a surprise release from my experience. With my Scott I can touch the trigger before my shot, I just make sure it's downward pressure and not inward pressure. It's the setup I use for spot and 3d shooting. When it's time to go back into the woods I go back to a simpler setup like your Stinger. It gets a little cold up here and I don't like a hair trigger setup with warm gloves.
Pretty much exactly what my feelings were.........I thought the hair trigger was really neat and I shot very well with it. I think it made for a smoother shot...........having said that, I could not get the image out of head of an accidental tripping of that trigger from my stand. I'm not sure I would be comfortable in the woods with one.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Atlas, why would you want a "surprise" when you are shooting your bow? I like knowing exactly when the arrow is going to be released. Am I missing something?

Motown.............I'm not sure I do

There are times when I shoot for practice that I catch myself "flinching" right before I ""pull" the trigger on my Tru Ball........sort of like a last instant attempt to get that pin EXACTLY where I want it because I "know" the shot is coming. This mostly occurs when I am tired and the pin is bouncing around more. With the hair trigger I just lay my finger on the release and as soon as I begin pressure the next thing I know the arrow is gone. I don't know that it is better but I think it can eliminate some bad habits that occur when you have to "pull" the trigger.

My analogy is to guns.........the smoother and easier the trigger pull is the more accurate it becomes because you avoid "flinching" or anticipating the reoil or movement caused by the pressure needed to "pull" the trigger. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I bought and of course the trigger was horrible and heavy and junk..........the accuracy of that gun improved immensely after I had the trigger work done on it and now she's a smooth couple lbs and shoots like dream.

I shoot just fine with my Tru Ball........and I know EXACTLY what you mean because I like knowing when my shot is gonna fire. I am just experimenting with some stuff and seeing if I like them or not.

I heard you shoot the G5 Optix ME sight...........can you give me any info on it because I am trying to decide between that one and the Viper Microtune.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are describing beginning stages of target panick.

If you ever get it,you will then understand why hair triggers are bad.

How can you lay your finger on a trigger while aiming if it is set up as a hair trigger.It could go off at anytime without you wanting it too.It is also very difficult to lay the finger on the trigger with any style of glove on.

You havne't learned to aim properly and are trying to get a trigger to fire as you cross the target.You are trying to get it to go off before the pin moves,this will bite most people eventually.

Ask anyone who has gone through the dreaded tp.

I know I am bucking the normal way of thinking here but this is one ofthe biggest misconceptions in archery today along with high letoff.

Hunting releases don't need as much tension as a target release but still require more than most think.

There are a few that require very little tension on their release,I know a few that can maintain a very light feel on the trigger while aiming and then use proper technique to fire the release,but they are few.For most of us,a heavier feel is needed.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas, why would you want a "surprise" when you are shooting your bow? I like knowing exactly when the arrow is going to be released. Am I missing something?

You want a surprise release so you can concentrate on aiming and aiming only,the release should go off on it's own while using bt.If you quit thinking about aiming to think about releasing,you are no longer aiming.This is where the misconception come in.Most think the quicker they can get the shot off,the better off they are.WRONG.It is impossible to think about both at the same time,so you must concentrate on 1 thing and that 1 thing should always be aiming.When your thoughts stray from that,the pin will move.

For hunting,a little command may be needed but I like to just speed up the process a littlefor hunting,I am somwhere between a command and a surprise release.An animal kill zone is a little bigger than a target spot so we can miss the spot a little and still be ok,but the thought oftarget panickis always there.This is why I don't reccomend a hair trigger.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Qopte:
"I heard you shoot the G5 Optix ME sight...........can you give me any info on it because I am trying to decide between that one and the Viper Microtune.

Thanks "

I have not shot that sight. Sorry no help. For hunting I really like the Skylight by Black Gold.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

You are describing beginning stages of target panick.
No........I am not. I have no problem shooting at all. I simply said that when I get tired and can't hold the pin as steady (after a ton of shooting) I have a tendency to "flinch" before I release. All it means is I shouldn't be shooting anymore because I am fatigued.

If you ever get it,you will then understand why hair triggers are bad.
I don't shoot a hair trigger so if I do get it........it won't be from that

How can you lay your finger on a trigger while aiming if it is set up as a hair trigger.
I stretch my finger out and lay it on the trigger. How else would I do it?

It could go off at anytime without you wanting it too.
I thought that was the whole point........a "surprise" release. Does anyone know exactly when a back tension release is gonna go off??.......I have seen a few bloody noses that make me think they don't.

It is also very difficult to lay the finger on the trigger with any style of glove on.
I never wear a glove on my release hand.

You havne't learned to aim properly and are trying to get a trigger to fire as you cross the target.
You should re-read the thread. I have no problems aiming and I'm not trying to get a release to do anything. I am not looking at new releases to try and solve a problem.

You are trying to get it to go off before the pin moves,this will bite most people eventually.
Since I am not doing that I guess I am safe

Old 02-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Qopte:
"I heard you shoot the G5 Optix ME sight...........can you give me any info on it because I am trying to decide between that one and the Viper Microtune.

Thanks "

I have not shot that sight. Sorry no help. For hunting I really like the Skylight by Black Gold.

Oops........germ told me to pm you because you had it.

I will check out the skylight though.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You say you don't use a hair trigger,great.So you can put your finger on the release without problems.What I am trying to get people to understand is why hairtriggers are not as good as advertised.You asked for ups or downs.I am giving you the downside.

When I say it goes off without you wanting it to,I am talking about a misfire,that is a completely different kind of surprise.

Just because you are tired when this occurs,doesn't mean it won't lead to tp,that is how it starts in most of us.

Most of us shoot bad when we get tired.You say you think it will solve some bad habbits when in fact,the hairtrigger will cause some bad habits,which lead to tp.Better off to just rest a little bit.

I have had tp.A friend of mine was a VERY GOOD target shooter and he got it so bad he had to quit altogether for a while.It took bt release and aiming practice for both of us.

I am not saying you have target panick NOW,I am saying with your habbits when you get tired,that can multiply into target panick.Maybe it will and maybe it won't,just giving you the downside that you asked for.It can be a slow process or a long one,or maybe it will never affect you.It all depends onthe person.

Sorry I gave you what you didn't want to hear.

By the way,this info about hairtriggers was given to me by one of the countries most respected teachers in the archery industry.He travels the country training and testing coaches for several archery organizations.He is a level 4 coach and level 5 is the highest you can get.

Take it for what it is worth.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You've provided some great info on this thread, TFOX... reminds me of a saying I once heard: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I just switched from a Scott mongoose to a TRU Fire 3D Hunter thumb release. Tonight was my first time shooting it, but I love the way it fits just behind my jaw bone. With my wrist release I never really had a good anchor, but with the thumb style i feel solid everytime. It may be worth looking into.
Cool........are the calipers small because they look it. I am looking for a small set of jaws to fit in a smaller loop.

Yea the head is pretty small. I shot with Mo Bowhntr today and he shoots a carter and it was slightly bigger than his carter that only has a hook. It doesnt have a caliper head on it. I like mine, but Mo Bow didnt like it after shooting his carter, but carters are a little more pricey. The tru fire is a lot less sensitive than the carter. Hope this helps.
Matt

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.