Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

funnels

Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Default RE: funnels

Put a trail cam here and see what you come up with
I think that is what I'll do, once the season gets closer.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM

I would hunt at the mouth of either end
How deep in the woods should I go.
Look like you have another great spot right in the middle of that patch on the right. That clearing in the center will be a great rutting spot.
I would never have thought of hunting that spot.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I wouldn't hunt in that funnell. I would hunt at the mouth of either end. Look like you have another great spot right in the middle of that patch on the right. That clearing in the center will be a great rutting spot. Thats gospel.
This is gospel. I hunt a lot of funnels and that one is too narrow to sit in the middle. You'll alert the deer to your presence and they'll skirt the funnel. It is best to hunt the mouths of the funnel at either end like MOTOWN has said. Halilueya!![:-]
Old 02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skirt the Funnel, or Cross the field, Haliluya!!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, if you do put up a cam, be careful with scent. I really don't see how a cam is going to help any more than what you can see on the ground with tracks and droppings. You can pretty much bet the deer use that, why go in there needlessly just to get some pics?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I wouldn't hunt in that funnell. I would hunt at the mouth of either end. Look like you have another great spot right in the middle of that patch on the right. That clearing in the center will be a great rutting spot. Thats gospel.
This is gospel. I hunt a lot of funnels and that one is too narrow to sit in the middle. You'll alert the deer to your presence and they'll skirt the funnel. It is best to hunt the mouths of the funnel at either end like MOTOWN has said. Halilueya!![:-]
Two wise men, need a third. I agree 100% with both of you guys. The other thing I might add is that if you can pinpoint where they bed, you may find that this funnel may not be that helpful. Looks like there is a fair amount of woods, maybe 50/50, but if you can pinpoint them to the funnel, then hunt it, but hunt it cautiously. If I were to try to hunt it, and the winds not be too prevalent, I'd hunt the south side of the funnel, leaving me an opportunity to shoot into the field due south, as they may venture into that field briefly traveling from one patch of woods to another, and being that the field is pretty protected from plain view, they will tend to enter the field earlier if they are anything like the deer around here. Cautious scouting from a distance can yield great results.