HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   how low in tree stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/180858-how-low-tree-stand.html)

PREDATOR122791 02-16-2007 03:22 PM

how low in tree stand

what is the lowest you can be in tree stand for bow

Hiawatha 02-16-2007 03:26 PM

RE: how low in tree stand

My rule of thumb is a min of 15 feet.

janesburg 02-16-2007 03:34 PM

14-15 feet. I put up my portables a couple of feet higher this year. At about 18 feet I had great results in the amount of deer I had within bow range. Only one deer busted me all year.

crutch 02-16-2007 04:19 PM

I shot one last year about 9ft off the ground in a viper climber. What had happened, I borrowed a buddies summit(1st time) and when I got up about 15 ft, as I pulled bow up it came off pull rope.[:@] Time I climbed down and part way back up I was sweating real bad(over dressed). I stopped around 9ft to cool down, just stayed there and shot a doe at 22 yrds about hour after daylight.:)
I think most people stay around 15 feet. But I suppose there really isn't a "lowest". But the lower you go, there is a greaterrisk of getting busted (i.e. movement, scent).Like Hiawatha said, "rule of thumb around 15 ft".
If you think thats to high, then go up where you are comfortable and start from there.
Goodluck!
Crutch

Rhody Hunter 02-16-2007 04:36 PM

That depends on the terrain you could be on a hill and well camouflaged and be right on the ground sitting in your stand . i personally like to be 20 plus feet in the air

[/align]

MB.prostaff.bgcalls 02-16-2007 04:40 PM

I'm not a huge fan of hieghts so its usally 15feet in the tree. seems to be a good hieght.

wisbowhunter2009 02-16-2007 04:53 PM

Well i've shoot deer from 10 feet off the ground to 18 feet off the ground. While i was hunting in the stand thats only 10 feet off the ground i had deer walk right under me.

spudrow 02-16-2007 05:15 PM

I have a Loggy Bayou climber and I usually get 12 feet high. I would like to go higher but never do. My permanent stands are at least 15 feet high. It seems no matter where I am I get busted all the time by turkey's. Deer never see me.Or at least the ones I see don't see me.

KoBear 02-16-2007 05:24 PM

most of my lockons are about 12-15 ft to the base of the platform. seems to be a good height. my dad doesnt like to hunt very high, and i do, so its a fair compromise.

when i hunt out of my climber, i hunt about 20-25 feet up. but that is usually during gun season.

i think it depends on the terrain, and how high the understory is. i prefer to be up where i will have some branches behind me to break up my outline.

KoBear 02-16-2007 05:25 PM

computers hate me... sry for the double post...