Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rifled arrow shafts >

rifled arrow shafts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rifled arrow shafts

Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rifled arrow shafts

Think of the physics required to impart spin into an arrow.

The closer to the centerline of the shaft you attempt to generate rotation, the more energy is required to accomplish the rotation. It is more like a lever, the longer the lever given the same fulcrum to load ratio, the longer lever is able to place much more energy into the load.

The more offset or helical placement of your feathers or vanes, the greater leverage effect on the arrow shaft. Since the vanes are at the greatest distance from the center of the arrow shaft, they have the most to offer in the form of rotational energy. The increased suface area of the vanes(feathers) cannot be duplicated (force vs force)by any other arrowcomponent and therefore they are the most effective in producing arrow spin. This is because the fletching is in constant contact with air. This interaction is what produces the energy that we are talking about. It occurs the entire time an arrow is in flight.

Alas, the QuickSpins. They use this same principle of physics, but I have never used them. Ican control myshafts with helical or extreme offset fletching w/a drop away rest. No clearance issues and without the added weight of theNAP vanes.

And yes, all concessions have concequences. More spin = less speed. But what are we trying to achieve here, better accuracy at a slightly slower fps or just acceptable accuracy at blazing speeds?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

Maybe this has been brought up before, has anyone thought of how a spinning arrow effects broadhead penetration?
Ed, that is a good question....at least to me [8D]

Any takers???
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting! They already incorporate the concept in broadheads. The Thunderhead isn't rifled, but has groves that are supposed to keep it going straighter, farther. I do believe it works. Could do the same on some shafts and see. I bet they already have. I like mine polished so I doubt I'd be a customer if they did.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 AM

You don't need "rifled" arrows, that is what the fletchings do. Besides the concept with bullets has the barrel rifled, not the bullets.

Even a slight offset on your fletchings will provide enough spin to stabilize an arrow.

Paul
Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM

it is not the bullet haveing grooves put in it by the rifleing that makes it spin, its the rifleing spinning it. I dont think putting rifleing on arows will make them spin at all and will only create drag.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:57 AM

hey huntinged, do you hunt Turkey Point, Rogues Harbour, or Carter in Northeast, MD.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AchryDeerKillrBowtch

hey huntinged, do you hunt Turkey Point, Rogues Harbour, or Carter in Northeast, MD.
Yes I have, my cousin is a ranger at that park.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

Maybe this has been brought up before, has anyone thought of how a spinning arrow effects broadhead penetration?
Ed, that is a good question....at least to me [8D]

Any takers???
Penetration should not change, but impact force will be much higher, think about karate, if you punch someone straight on it hurts, but they teach you to rotate your fist so you put torque into the impact, it hurts a lot more. I saw some pics and videos of these new "high spin" nocks I bought, they were awesome. The entrance hole looked like you shaved a 3" spot on the deer, and then punched a 2" drill into it... and the exit wounds were even better.

Im gonna test the new nocks as soon as the weather gets better... I'll be sure to post results.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think rifleing the arrow would do anything because a bullet isnt rifled but the barrel is to make the bullet spin. Now if your shooting the arrow out a barrel you might be on to something but I think that would make things a little more interesting to say the least.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:59 PM

The same idea of an arrow spinning to stabilize a broadhead is similar to a baseball and pitching. A two seam fastball is spinning the fastest and getting the least air resistance because is it spinning against the least stitches so it goes the straightest and fastest. When I throw a knuckleball, I want the least rotation on the ball so the wind and air hits the ball and affects it so make it dance all over the place. If our arrows are dancing, consistency will suffer greatly and hitting anything with a broadhead would be impossible.

Quick Reply: rifled arrow shafts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.