Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Default TV

This is a little bit of a vent, and I wanted to grasp some of your opinions. I have the great privilege of working for a company that owns and produces hunting and fishing televisions shows. The show that I am most part of has a title sponsor of a Bow manufacture. But this does not mean it is all bow hunting, we will hunt mostly bow, but when it becomes crunch time, we will bring out the thundersticks. For example the television show "Giant Whitetails" just aired a show about pig hunting. The name is all about whitetails, but that doesn't mean they only hunt whitetails. How many of you hunt with both gun and bow? I love to bow hunt, infact I prefer to bowhunt, but if I get a chance to hunt with a gun, I am not going to pass it up. (Sorrry little bit of a tangent).There are many reasons why a tv host will switch from a bow to a gun. One, in all honestly would you watch a tv show that has absolutely no kills? Two, the money involved in making a hunt. There is a lot of extra cost that people do not think of, and if we don't get an animal there is no show. I could go on and on about it, but I guess I wanted to hear some of your thoughts about it. What do you think?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 AM

Default RE: TV

I will preface my response by saying that I bow hunt, rifle hunt and ML hunt for whitetail. I love all 3 seasons, but bow edges out the rest. I take tv personalities switching from bow to firearm, as just as you said, to get a kill, as no kills on a hunting show is not worth showing on the tube. I think that it can be a lack of conviction to bow hunting, but to each their own.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt as Red Lion said..Bow Gun & Muzzleloader. I too prefer Bow but hunting is hunting and all have their tactics and rewards.

Your show should hunt as advertised. If it's a Bow themed show then Bow Hunt..If it's named Giant Whitetails then Hunt Giant Whitetails.. If your not doing these things you choose your name poorly and should have had a more Generic name.

I watched a Bow Themed (and Titled)show and sponsor of this site the other week..they were Bear Hunting with Muzzleloaders.

I watched it becausethe Title indicated it would be a an Archery show. It wasn't..so now, I know if my intent is only to watch archery shows..I may skip this one in the future because it may or may not be what was advertised.

Just my thoughts..which you asked for...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Spike

I concur with Red Lion on this one.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got to say I am a deer hunter.....With that said I hunt them with a Bow, Rifle, Shotgun, and muzzle loader. If they had a rock season I pick one up and chuck a rock at em.

For me Archery and Muzzle loader run pretty much neck and neck as my favorite. But Rifle and Shotgun aren't too fat behind.

Mabey I'm weird but I would watch a hunting show that didn't have a kill in it as long as it was entertaining. It happens you have more days where you ddon't score then you do. everyone is into the kil, the kill, the kill!!! I am more into the scouting and setting up I am always looking for more info ion this subject. I can aim and shoot with the best of them, I don't always have to see that part. I am just sick and tierd of the host saying here we are at such and such a ranch and all the work is done for them. The host gets into the stand waits and low and behold here comes his game he shoots it begining and end of story. Boring!!!! I belive this morre then anything else will kill TV hunting more then anything its all so blaaa. Your in the TV hunt game lets see something different, instead the same canned hunt. My 2 CENTS.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM

Personally, I would rather watch 30 minutes of describing the local area, scouting, prep, planning, and what was actually seen during an archery hunt without a kill,assuming that you at least show some footage of some wildlife.

I think some producers get so caught up in the typical plot of fictionmovies, where everything must come together at the end for a "victory" ending, that they lose sight of the reality aspect of hunting. Not every hunt ends with a kill, but that doesn't mean they aren't fun and entertaining.

The part Idon't see enough inmost hunting shows iswhenthe unexpected thingshappen on a hunting trip, like flat tires along the way, keys locked in the vehicle. It gives a peek into the character and personality of the person doing the hunt and makes it realistic.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I got to say I am a deer hunter.....With that said I hunt them with a Bow, Rifle, Shotgun, and muzzle loader. If they had a rock season I pick one up and chuck a rock at em.
thats the way i am as well. hahaha. but bowhunting is definitely the one that is the dearest to my heart.

i for one, would like to see an animal harvested in the show. i can go and sit in the woods and see nothing! but i also agree with SharpStickHunter and say that i would rather learn ABOUT hunting than WATCH hunting.

but thats just me.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM

I personally love to bowhunt more than anything, and yes like you I do like to pick up the rifle when i get a chance. Usually the only rifle hunting i get in is going after does. I can very well understand why guys switch to a rifle when videoing because your chances of getting close enough to harvest a deer are much higher. When it comes to the hunting shows stating their name as Giant Whitetails and going after other game, it is no big deal but for marketing purposes they should be more creative so that their name applies to more than one species!!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: SharpStickHunter

Personally, I would rather watch 30 minutes of describing the local area, scouting, prep, planning, and what was actually seen during an archery hunt without a kill,assuming that you at least show some footage of some wildlife.

I think some producers get so caught up in the typical plot of fictionmovies, where everything must come together at the end for a "victory" ending, that they lose sight of the reality aspect of hunting. Not every hunt ends with a kill, but that doesn't mean they aren't fun and entertaining.

The part Idon't see enough inmost hunting shows iswhenthe unexpected thingshappen on a hunting trip, like flat tires along the way, keys locked in the vehicle. It gives a peek into the character and personality of the person doing the hunt and makes it realistic.
Couldn't Agree More! The Only hunters I really enjoy watching on TV are David Blanton and Tom Miranda. Just Because both of them show some of the scouting and hanging stands and whatnot. Plus, no matter what size buck they take, they're always super excited- and thats an important part of the hunt to me, being excited and proud of what you took.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Personally I think if you are going to switch to a gun to get a kill you should show the beginning hunt as a bow hunt that didn't pan out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.