Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 sharpen or buy new? >

sharpen or buy new?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sharpen or buy new?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Default RE: sharpen or buy new?

i just buy new ones
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably have enough Thunder Heads left, to last the rest of my life, Unless I go Deer Killing Mad! I resharpen them with a TruAngle Broadhead Hone, and they are sharper than Factory ever dreamed of being! I cant remember theGuy's name that use to sell them ( it's been years) but He was out of Wabash, In. I baught 2 of them, one for 3 blades, and one for 4. On 3 blade cut on impact, I use the 3 step process, 1 File, 2 Hone, 3 Leather. They are also sharper than you willever Buy!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I probably have enough Thunder Heads left, to last the rest of my life, Unless I go Deer Killing Mad! I resharpen them with a TruAngle Broadhead Hone, and they are sharper than Factory ever dreamed of being! I cant remember theGuy's name that use to sell them ( it's been years) but He was out of Wabash, In. I baught 2 of them, one for 3 blades, and one for 4. On 3 blade cut on impact, I use the 3 step process, 1 File, 2 Hone, 3 Leather. They are also sharper than you willever Buy!
I know the TruAngle line. They got their beginnings due to 3Riversarchery when they were originally located in Fort Wayne. Have tried them on the Thunderhead 100's I used to use. NO effort came close to the sharpness offered by thefactory blades a decade ago or now.

With your post, are you actuallysaying that you canmaintain the exact tolerances by hand sharpening that a laser can????

Thunderhead blades are precison sharpened by laserand you can improve on that process? You gotta be a millionaire by now

Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KoBear

ORIGINAL: PaBowhunter29

these is what i use

i use the same thing.

i buy new replacement blades each year, but sharpen them during the season.
I used the Smith's tool once and I just couldn't get em sharp enough. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I eventually gave up and bought some replacement blades.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

GForce, Heres how it works. If I can take a new package of Blades stick them in one of my heads, Stretch a rubber band accross my fingers and run the weight of the arrow and broadhead accross the rubber band and it does not cut it. Then take that same Broadhead sharpen it with the True Angle Hone and do the same thing and it cuts the rubber band, No doubt about it, Mine are sharper, Laser cut or not!! I have seen people take differnt Laser sharpend blades out of a new package and they would have small flat spots on them, as I am sure other people on this forum has. How many Bowhunters on this forum do you hear say I use Brand X because they are sharper than Brand Y yet both of them are LASER sharpend. Get it yet? Heres what I will do, If you have a True Angle Hone for a 3 blade, I will Buy it from you! If you have one and want to keep it, I am a Nice Guy, I will meet you somewhere and give you a class on how to use it!!! If not you can continue to purchase your blades, and I will continue to Hone mine, Let's say Beyond Laser sharp! And I bet we will both be HappyOh one more thing, the reason they are Laser sharpened instead of Honed is Cost Efficient Production, Thats why I'm not a Millionaire.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

You bring up some good points, but I will NOT give up my True Angle 3-blade file and hone set for any amount.

So as not to tie-up or hijack this thread, I will send you a PM as to why.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 PM

I use the KME Broadhead Sharpener.

Three Rivers carries the KME sharpener in their catalog. It is the best designed sharpener money can buy. You can even do the mechanical blades if you want. The angle you will grind will be the same each side of the edge. The sharpness will be determined by the grade stone you use. If you polish the broadhead edge with a white traslucent stone or hard black Arkansas stone you can improve the sharpness of the factory edges. And the edge is what kills the game and leaves the bloodtrail we use to find the game.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------->
Old 02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy new...I don't trust my sharpening skills...especially when/if a once in a lifetime buck comes by.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:19 PM

The confidence you have to make the shot is proportional to the confidence you have that each and every arrow in you quiver is shaving sharp and they also fly right.

Carrying equiptment afield that is untested for flight and not shaving sharp is something a rookie would do. Not to mention highly unethical.

If a broadhead can't shave the hair off you arm what kind of bloodtrail will it leave for you to follow?

Broadheads kill by inducing hemorrhagic shock. The uncontrolable bleeding results in quick ethical kills and recoverable game.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>