Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The midwest may have bigger bucks but.. >

The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

we seem to have alot more deer in the east. I just got home from a trip to Springfield, MO which was a 13 hour drive. From Pittsburgh to Columbus I saw deer the whole way, then from Columbus Ohio to Springfield Missouri I only saw four deer. They were all together in an Illinois cornfield. I was looking pretty hard.

On the way back, not a single deer until the eastern side of Ohio and I'll bet I saw 50-70 from there to home. Beautiful country out west but the deer numbers really seem to be down.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Default RE: The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Yea you dont see a lot of deer driving down I-44 in MO. Not really the right kind of fields to hold large numbers of deer. I'm suprised you didn't see more driving through Illinois though.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it was the time of day you drove thru the 2 areas. Deer are out more in the mornings and evenings. Midday sightings are slim anywhere. We kill plenty of em every year here in the midwest.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM

I live in St. Louis and go to school in Springfield, MO, so i make the Missouri part of the drive you did very often. I can honestly say that i very rarely see deer, but does that mean the east has more deer than the midwest? I dont think so. Like MO said your not going to find the right conditions for deer near an interstate highway.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

Like MO said your not going to find the right conditions for deer near an interstate highway.
Exactly, in the midwest a deer doesn't have to venture down to the highway median to find some green grass to eat. There are plenty of crop fields all around for them to get a bite to eat. Trust us there are just as many deer in the midwest. I have lived and hunted in both areas. Lived my whole life in WV and I tell you,I would much rather hunt out herefor both numbers and antler size.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the way us Missouri boys defend our state, but where is mobowhunter when we need him for another voice.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Yea mobow where you at?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 PM

There is a corn field near my house that I stopped and counted 65 deer in on one evening! You can't beat that for numbers in the midwest... and no I can't hunt them... the owner of said field also happens to be the owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and a lover of animals...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 PM

My bro and his wife live in Calgary, Alberta and drove to Vegas last week. The whole trip he saw 4 deer. lol[&:]
Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he may have took the wrong highway through MO. Try heading north on Hwy's 61, 63, or 65. If its the right time of day you'll lose count quickly.

In Illinois take I-55 north and you'll see quite a few more deer also

Quick Reply: The midwest may have bigger bucks but..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.