Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunt for a Living...how?? >

Hunt for a Living...how??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt for a Living...how??

Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunt for a Living...how??

I bet many of you have thought of this same idea while you were in thefield,"If I could just figure out how to do this for a living, I would have the greatest job every." At least I think it would be the greatest job. Imagine, you get up every morning and put on your work clothes, but instead of a suit and tie, it's your favorite camo. Then you run out the door, but rush back in because you almost forgot your briefcase, I mean your bow with a quiver full of custom fletched arrows, and it's off to the office in the company 4x4. Once in your office, located at the top a big oak tree between two soybean fields, you set back and let the day unfold.

You and me both know it can be done. We watch peoplewho do it every day on TV and read about them in the thousands of hunting magazines we buy. I'm not talking aboutactuallyhunting for a living (because who knows if that excises), but having career in the outdoor industry. What would be the best way for someone to pursue this, beside camping outside of Bill Jordan's or Will Primos' house, begging them for a job, because that will just cause you to be put in jail or the loony bind. But if someone was willing and able to put in the time needed, how could they go about achieving this? This could be an unanswerable question for all I know, or it could darn well be the secret of life.

All opinions and answers are welcomed.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Default RE: Hunt for a Living...how??

I'm not sure you really want to make hunting your job. Once anything becomes a job I think it loses some of its glamour. Ask a pro golfer what he does with his free time (its not golf) ask a pro baseball player what he does in the winter... (most likely hunt if he is american I know a lot of them do! My point is that be careful that you might find out its not worth it. Granted if its your dream give it a shot!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I am not necessarily saying doing it for a J O B, but making a career out of it. Like testing products, writing about hunts, going to shows,being asked to give seminars, helping other hunters get started in the industry, prompting a company you are apart of,even trying to create that one product that every hunter needs, but does have and getting paid for it. INhunter, I know what you are saying, I hunt as much I possibly can and I do get frustrated, even bored at times or just don't feel like going, but I love it. Having a career in the hunting industrydoes not mean you have to hunt 24/7, so instead of huntingduring my free time, Icould fish,golf or play baseball. I do not just mean hunting all the time, but the whole aspect of it (if that even makes sense).
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM

You might find yourself writing, talking, and going to shows about hunting instead of getting to do the actual thing. Just something to think about!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Then I would quit, because it would be taking up to much of my hunting time. That is a possibility though
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Wish I could quit med school... It took almost all of my hunting time![:@]
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a business plan in the works. I owe a lot of it to this board and yes it's mission statement has big deer hunting front and center.

Is it possible? I think so, but only time will tell. You all will know about it or at least I think you will, because I will advertise here first if the price is right.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

INhunter, we need doctors in the world too. So they write us that crossbow permit slip when we get to old to draw our bows back and to fix us up, if heaven forbid, we happen to fall out of the stand.

Fmouse, I wish you the best of luck (don't forget us little people).
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

It can be difficult to remain objective about something you are involved in 24/7. The same small town, relationships, even a site like this can be taken for granted over time. Hunting is my life, but I don't want to be a guide, or give up my career. If there is anything in my life I feel qualified as an expert at, it is my career, hunting is an all-consuming hobby. Sometimes I feel like I work so I can hunt, but in the truth of the matter is if I hunted all the time I wouldn't strive as hard at it. (or appreciate the fruits of my labor near as much).
Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I have a business plan in the works. I owe a lot of it to this board and yes it's mission statement has big deer hunting front and center.

Is it possible? I think so, but only time will tell. You all will know about it or at least I think you will, because I will advertise here first if the price is right.
Yo Fieldmouse .... need a sidekick or partner , I'm looking for part time job

Quick Reply: Hunt for a Living...how??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.